Author Topic: My apple tree  (Read 2044 times)

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
My apple tree
« on: August 26, 2014, 11:37:26 »
A few years ago I got a bare rooted apple tree from my husband as part of a Christmas present, but it hasnt prospered at all, and I need advice. It is particularly important to me, because my husband died last year and I would like to think the apple tree he bought me would flourish.

I feel I planted it in the right position and followed the instructions that were given. The first year the tree had some blossom on it, and I got a few tiny apples growing on it. Unfortunately they looked  blotchy and the tree seemed to have some sort of infestation on it, with little ants of spiders on it, with a funny web on it. The leaves just went brown and crumpled off the tree. This year, they tree seems to have been dormant and stunted, and hasn't grown much. I feel I should have pruned it in the winter, but with other things happening in my life I didn't get round to it. Is there anything I could do to revive it.  Would be really grateful for any advice anyone can give. Thanks, busy_lizzie   
live your days not count your years

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: My apple tree
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 12:05:41 »
What type of apple?  Are you watering it?  They also like feeding.   Sometimes they take quite a time to get going.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 12:55:56 »
Little ants and a funny web sounds like woolly aphids to me.  You can treat it chemically.  Look at this video and see if that looks like the problem that you have.  http://www.abc.net.au/local/videos/2011/04/28/3202377.htm

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 13:03:50 »
Yes...it will take few years to get newly planted trees growing...and during those first few years they will need little bit of TLC too.
While it is trying to get going...I would not allow it to set any fruit so all its energy will go to producing new strong growth that is then later on able to carry good crop of decent apples.
Have you fed your tree at all? If not, you can give it some bone meal (any time from now on until later on the year), to encourage root growth and in spring some blood, fish and bone meal (or something similar, 'general' feed) for top growth.
If you tree haven't grown much at all...don't worry about pruning for now..it can always be done later on when there is truly something to prune.

:icon_thumleft:

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 14:36:59 »
Sorry to hear of your problem so I have been looking for some clues from the information you have given so far!

You say: A few years ago I got a bare rooted apple tree

Now I am assuming that it is most likely to be a 'dwarf' variety which I find need different treatment to what you would give to an old/ mature tree.

For example my trees are 'minarettes' which have been 'grafted' on stock to suit the modern urban garden.

You have also said that in its the first year the tree had some blossom on it, and I got a few tiny apples growing on it.

This is pretty much what I would expect from a young tree!

I feel I should have pruned it in the winter

I have a gut feeling that at least some of your problems  are rooted in this area!

But! If your tree is similar to mine then you don't prune in winter you prune around now, I usually prune around the last week in August and the first in September, in fact I was only looking at my trees this morning and was thinking it was about time I got the secateurs out!

I do this by pruning the 'water wood' as I call it i.e. this years growth.

These are usually seen as long spindly growths which need cutting back to the 'basal growth' which is a bunch of leaves at the base of the growth.

If you find it difficult to determine what is basal growth ( which can happen) cut the stems back to 6"-8" (15-20cms) from the branch they radiate from and this should work equally as well.

Here is a link on how I treat mine!

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Apple/Apples.htm

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 12:20:27 »
Hi Just wanted to thank everyone who contributed to my post. I am sorry for not reply sooner. There has been lots of family things happening so haven't been able to get back to the site. I really do appreciate all of your input though. Thank you. busy_lizzie  :icon_cheers:
live your days not count your years

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal