Author Topic: Too many rasperries  (Read 3268 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Too many rasperries
« on: September 17, 2014, 18:18:07 »
I have picked raspberries every day and made jam, frozen some, given some away and today more are ready to be picked, so told my new allotment friend to help himself.  I really, really like raspberries, but think we have overdosed on them.  I don't belive that I would ever be grateful when they finish producing.  :sunny:

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: Too many rasperries
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 18:22:45 »
I know what you mean! I planted a new row last year because the old ones were getting so swamped in bindweed and were collapsing, but they've still produced well this year and now I've got the new ones as well!

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 21:00:43 »
I'm jealous, I need to get more raspberries. I love them and no matter how many I pick it isn't enough!

Mind you, I only have summer fruiting canes so mine have been finished for weeks. Need some autumn ones I guess.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 09:47:54 »
I love raspberries and mine are doing exactly the same!

It feels like planting your own weeds with raspberries - given how successful they are (and invasive!)

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 15:58:04 »
They're my favourites too, and I think that it's always better to have too many than not enough!
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 17:55:24 »
I am also doing very well on raspberries this year, though they are wanting some rain now.
I do not think there is such a thing as too many raspberries.  I just love them.

I had a gap between the summer and autumn ones and I am working hard to fill. 

The autumn ones are fantastic.  They are more tolerant of the lime in the soil.  I have JoanJ and they are spreading all over the place, but I do not mind.  They produce for weeks and weeks so well worth growing.   They are bigger fruits than the summer ones though not quite as good on flavour but I still love them.  I do recommend.  The birds do not seem to go for them as much as the summer ones.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 19:02:30 »
I think my birds are spoiled, they don't touch the raspberries. The slugs are not quite so well-trained. ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal