Author Topic: My first parsnip !  (Read 2096 times)

fitzsie

• Acre
My first parsnip !
« on: August 28, 2014, 21:31:11 »
I posted earlier a photo of my little plot of veg garden. My first attempt at seriously growing veggies,

Well, I'm still eating my tomatoes and today I pulled out my first parsnip !!  Yeah, a beauty !!!  I can't complain at that !!!

Tasted really creamy in this evenings stew.  Definitely going to make some soup !! That's if the rest of the parsnips are performing as well.

Bring back Spotty Dog........

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: My first parsnip !
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 12:10:18 »
Well done, it looks a beauty  :icon_cheers:
The taste only gets better as they mature, particularly once it gets cold enough for frosts.
What variety did you grow?
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 18:16:13 »
Glad to hear of your success  :blob7: and your handsome parsnip. Eating from ones own garden has to be one of the best joys in life.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

fitzsie

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 08:39:38 »

What variety did you grow?

Just checked the packet and they are Tender and True.

I know I should wait for some frost but had to pick another last week for Sundays roast dinner.  It went with freshly picked runner beans, my potatoes and my marrow. 
Bring back Spotty Dog........

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 11:38:35 »
Tender and True, a nice variety and do well when I've grown them. Although I tend to grow Gladiator F1 (or F2 from saved seeds), as they do so well here and are great at resisting carrot root fly which is a big nuisance in my garden.

Sounds delish  :happy7:
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

jimc

• Quarter Acre
    • Jimc's Garden
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 04:11:47 »
It is a great sensation to be able to harvest your own food and eat it.
I had never tried parsnip until about 9 or 10 years ago. It was hard to get germination initially then after the first bed I left some to go to seed so now I get a self sown crop every year. Sometimes the weeds are too many parsnips but they are fairly easy to remove or just let them get a little established then harvest them as babies just leaving enough to go on to maturity and full grown.
Fresh seed is required for perfect germination.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 07:35:41 »
I leave some parsnips to flower every year because the insects love them.  The seeds then scatter around and I reckon at that  stage I get 100% germination.  There are currently thousands of them coming up all over the place.   

I tend to thin out some of the ones I sowed in Feb/mar and find they taste good.  A bit of a fry in some butter seems to sweeten them up/

boydzfish

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 08:26:49 »
Didn't get any parsnips this year but was given another half plot with some gone to seed and saved some. I was going to put some in wet tissue to check viability but where I had left the stalks by the compost bins they are coming up like mad!! I even harvested some for myself and may try transplanting some of the compost bin ones as an experiment. I think they are Tender and True variety.
Boydzfish

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 16:43:56 »
I have heavy clay soil and have grown gladiator for the past few years. They grew massively long and I had such trouble trying to prise them out. I tried guernsey this year, half as long, omg they have grown three times as wide and are bolting so out they come. This time I had to use a crowbar and the parsnips are like wood. So no more home grown parsnips for me, I am getting too old to be prising them out. I ended up with backache and value for effort, they are so not worth it for me. My plot isn`t that big so whatever I grow has to be worth while and parsnips are joining my blacklist

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal