Author Topic: cold callers again.  (Read 2674 times)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
cold callers again.
« on: September 10, 2014, 20:37:48 »
Hi all, cold callers are getting on my bloody nerves, has anyone got the number u ring to get rid all or most or all of  them, I did ring it years ago and they nearly all stopped but forgot the number, please help before I rip the fecking phone out.    :BangHead:  :BangHead:  :BangHead:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
Re: cold callers again.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 21:23:59 »
http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html, but it's not much use.

Last year we installed a TrueCall call blocker.  http://www.truecall.co.uk/home.aspx  It's a hundred quid, but if your budget will allow, it's the best hundred quid you'll ever spend.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 21:34:30 »
I like winding them up, I just put the phone down and walk away, they soon give up.  Have you had an accident, yes, you just rang me while cooking and I fell over and I am going to claim compension from you.  Do you want a loan, no, do you, I will give you one at 100% interest.  Funny but the calls have stopped.  BT have meant  to stop them but still get the odd one, your computer is slow, I know, now p.ss off.

Nora42

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 22:29:50 »
My usual responses to "hulo can I speak with Mrs H" is " No I'm not MRS H - He won't even marry me and I've had his kids, do you have any compensation for that?" they just hang up

"Can I have a minute of your time"  - " you just did goodbye"

Find fun where you can.
Nora
Norf London

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 07:45:50 »
The TPS worked like a treat for us.  Stopped 95% of cold calls instantly..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

pumkinlover

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 08:12:10 »
We have tps which helps a lot. Just getting the ones about hearing loss at the moment

Pardon. :glasses9:

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 10:40:19 »
I did the phone preference thing years ago, but we have also started getting more of two types of cold calls; the recorded message ones, and the ones where they obviously dial several numbers at once so don't connect until you answer, so there is silence for a few seconds before anyone speaks. The latter I just hang up, but it's really irritating to be interrupted.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 10:58:43 »
Cheers I'll give TPS a go, yes deb every time we sit down to watch something on catch up the bloody thing rings.        :drunken_smilie:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

MervF

• Half Acre
  • Poole, Dorset
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 14:09:35 »
I registered with TPS a number of years ago and it didn't seem to make much difference.   I did make several reports to them regarding cold calls and no notice was taken at all.   We were getting calls every day and evening at one stage so I bought one of the BT phones (I think it is the 6500) and on that you can bar specific numbers, international calls and ours only takes calls where the numbers are displayed.   Our phone seldom rings now.   We also used to get a lot of double glazing folk and other doorstep salesmen and someone told me about a notice that our Trading Standards had which could be downloaded from the council website.   It just states that we do not accept doorstep traders.   We don't get any more callers.   At last we can watch the telly in peace!!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 16:14:47 »
I did all the different 'registrations' for our home phone and mobiles and nothing never did stop them calling. I even got fed up trying to take mickey..run out with sense of 'humour'. So I finally got in touch with our phone provider and they agreed that maybe it is time to change our number.
OH YES...it was lovely and quiet for while and now we get few odd call for the number's previous owner.... :BangHead: Sounds like she has done 'runner' as all different 'agencies' are after her...though now that we've been explaining this 'new number' issue to them, phone going quiet again.
On door we have sign for sale people and other time wasters....even some 'religious groups of people' did pass our door last Sunday without knocking... :icon_cheers: ...not even a leaflet from them!  :icon_cheers:

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 20:11:42 »
I am getting ppi calls again. I have never had a ppi so really annoys me, then there are the government grants, for various things, except the government are not giving us any.  And now it is solar panels. 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal