Author Topic: Anyone recognise this beautiful flower?  (Read 4134 times)

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
Anyone recognise this beautiful flower?
« on: September 06, 2014, 23:16:13 »

This beautiful shrub with huge salmon coloured flowers grows in a garden my allotment. It's been flowering all summer. Anyone know what it is?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Anyone recognise this beautiful flower?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 00:30:05 »
Looks rather like a Hibiscus to me.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 06:50:57 »
I will go with the Trumpet Vine .

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 07:22:49 »
It's very pretty, lovely coloured flowers.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

alkanet

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 08:57:48 »
   On May 21, 2014, MrMasks from Fort Worth, TX wrote:

This is not a plant... it is a form of domestic terrorism. I seriously can't find words to strong enough to describe my hatred of this plague. I'm not one to personify plants, but I can only describe this monstrosity as malicious and evil.

I bought a house three years ago, not realizing the neighbor behind me had recently planted this booby trap about 2-3 years prior. Two summers ago, I noticed this plant was draping over the fence in my back yard and was starting to drop pods. I picked them up and cut the plant back to their side of the fence.

Last summer, it started climbing up a storage shed about 4 feet away from the fence, and I found several shooters springing up in the yard. Pulling the shooters off of the shed resulted in paint coming off WITH the branches, which acted like they were glued onto the shed. Luckily, I plan on tearing the shed down anyway, so I'm not concerned about that. I frankly don't care how "pretty" the plant looks, it will be getting poisoned. At this point, I'm just trying to decide whether to use the strongest herbicide in combination with gasoline and vinegar, or whether I use a small thermo-nuclear explosive... I'm pretty sure the nuclear fallout would be less of a pain than this plant.

For the love of God, DO NOT PLANT THIS. This plant CANNOT be controlled and it will destroy your neighbor's yards. It should be illegal to even sell this plant, let alone plant it in an urban setting.

Read more: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/644/#ixzz3CcAEOBqK

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 10:36:32 »
Definitely a Bignonne (French name)  or Trumpet vine.  They are so beautiful, (and I've taken many close-up photos of them too!).  They are commonly seen in gardens in SW France. To start with I tried hard to get one to grow through cuttings, and failed completely.  Finally we were given one, and then a different second one, with darker flowers.  Now they are well established and we love them both.
They need cutting back regularly, and certainly early spring take out all the dead ends.  I've never seen one growing in the UK, which is why we were so attracted to them in France.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 10:52:48 »
Thank you for the info- they really don't look English at all, do they?

Sounds like they can be invasive but then perhaps that depends on the environment. I feel a bit like that about pink hardy geraniums here but they were never invasive in my previous gardens.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 10:54:26 »
Oh and I meant to say 'near my allotment'!

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 11:59:10 »
And invasive really applies to its ability to climb and ramble, which is no problem at all if kept properly cut back.  It isn't invasive a far as the roots are concerned.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 15:19:37 »
It is a campsis and is vigorous but easy enough to control by judicious pruning despite th eunfortunate experience described above.

Here is what the RHS has to say on its features and cultivation - https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=328
Obxx - Vendée France

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 09:43:36 »
And invasive really applies to its ability to climb and ramble, which is no problem at all if kept properly cut back.  It isn't invasive a far as the roots are concerned.
To be fair, it does seem that some varieties have very invasive roots and shoot up all over the place. That sounds like a nightmare. But I suppose you'd have to be careful about the variety and keep pruning.

I spent a lot of yesterday digging out geranium rhizomes and yellow flag rhizomes which between them want to cover my entire garden. And to think I actually panted them originally  :BangHead: :BangHead:

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 11:17:08 »
Oh I have often wondered what that is!! It's beautiful. there is one growing in the road where my allotment is. They do get big but the flowers are spectacular.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 11:46:53 »
Oh Pigeonseed, I so agree about yellow flags.  A friend gave me some to plant at a damp edge of my natural pond.  All was well till 3 successive surgeries over 16 months plus recovery time meant I didn't get out in the garden.  They have now terraformed my unlined pond - no small job at 8metres by 4ish - and are heading up the bed behind.

Pink geraniums are trying to take over most of the rest of my garden and geranium phaeum are pretty bullish too.

If only all my veggies grew with such gay abandon.

I did plant a campsis once but it didn't like my winters.
Obxx - Vendée France

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 14:01:31 »
 Trumpet Vine
i don't belive death is the end

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2014, 08:47:04 »
Campsis. It will not grow easily everywhere. Mine is in a courtyard with it's own micro climate. Been there about 6 years with no spreading or taking over. But I do cut it down to nothing each winter. This year has had perfect growing and flowering conditions, if it stays warm there could be a chance of a few seed pods but it does not happen every year.

I think mine must have came from Spain when a part of the stem accidently fell into my suite case and it was put in a pot for a few years. Mine must be a hybrid of sorts as the colours are more pink to purple and the seed will not take.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2014, 09:28:01 »
Nice to have brought one back from holiday, Ace!

Now I know what they are (trumpet vine/campsis) I have seen another couple in gardens nearby - but the colours are darker, almost brownish reds. I don't like them much. So if I do go for one, I'll try and get the salmon coloured one.

If one day we save enough money to have the tarmac taken up in our front garden, I wouldn't mind one. Although I also have my eye on a wisteria next to the door too!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal