Author Topic: Planting by a tree stump  (Read 1956 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Planting by a tree stump
« on: August 09, 2014, 21:00:15 »
Just had a large pine tree removed from the garden and the stump has had to be left in. I want to plant a shrub as close as possible to the stump to take the place of the tree. Assuming I can dig a decent planting hole next tto the stump  (looks promising),  would there be any problem with doing this? The only problem II can think of would be fungus on the now dead roots affecting a new shrub. In that case are there any shrubs to avoid? I was thinking of something like a species lilac or native like hawthorn or hazel.

Guidance needed please.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Planting by a tree stump
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 21:51:39 »
When I removed a large conifer I was faced with the same situation so I planted a Berberis between the roots as can be seen here;

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Berberis/Berberis.htm

On reflection I think I could have done the same with any other shrub so the answer to your question is yes!

Take my word for it there is a 12"diameter stump under that shrub and has been for many years, can't recall exactly when I did it but it must be ten years plus!

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 22:23:37 »
If it is pine then I think it will be OK. If its yew that will re grow

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 11:11:27 »
If it is pine then I think it will be OK. If its yew that will re grow

Yes definitely a pine. We have a few more nearby still standing! Thanks for replies.

Ian Pearson

• Acre
    • Growing Oca
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 11:24:38 »
Should be fine. Remember that most soil fungi are beneficial. Only a minority are detrimental to tree health.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal