Author Topic: Autumn beckons  (Read 1192 times)

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
Autumn beckons
« on: August 24, 2014, 19:08:21 »
Noticing that there have been several recent posts regarding "Is there anything I can plant now,I thought you all might be interested in this recent internet discovery:
http://www.slideshare.net/SustainableMarketFarming/coldhardy-winter-vegetables-pam-dawling-2013?qid=9e345c81-599a-4b19-a481-daff68aba72a&v=default&b=&from_search=1

I  would point out that it s from Yankee doodle land and that their climatic extremes are not what we enjoy but the general scope is applicable here.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Autumn beckons
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 08:52:15 »
Thank you for this very interesting link:

I am looking at the column 'down to -11C' (which is probably what most of us inland would be looking at most winters, although we have seen -16C in recent years!).  And it says that Oxheart and Danvers carrots survive this!  I must rethink my carrot variety.  It would be really useful to be able to 'do' carrots that overwinter.

I have experimented earlier this year with carrots (Nantes) sowed in the greenhouse in January this year.  Apart from slug losses, they produced very well in June.  A little later than practical because I had to work round them to plant the tomatoes.  Have decided to repeat the experiment but sow earlier (late September or October) and hope for an earlier harvest in the greenhouse.

Outdoors (cloched) has not been successful for me, but maybe it is worth trying other varieties.

Unfortunately what differentiates us from US growers is not just temperatures but also light levels due to different latitudes.  We have so much less daylight in the winter months than they have and that matters.  A real limitation on 4 season gardening.  Even so, I can confirm success with a lot of the crops mentioned on the website you pointed us to.  Thank you.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal