Author Topic: soft fruit glut!  (Read 1778 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
soft fruit glut!
« on: July 08, 2014, 10:32:24 »
It's a lovely problem to have!

What are you doing with your soft fruit? Whatever we have left at the end of the day, I put in the freezer. It seems like I should do more with it. I can't do jam as it's got too much sugar in it. Although I have made fresh pure fruit jam to use in a victoria sandwich. I've made fruit pies, crumbles, cakes (although I haven't yet found a fresh fruit cake that I liked - too dense and soggy), tarts, frangipane tarts, sorbet, ice cream... Don't like fools. No one else in the family likes custard other than me. I hate triffle with a passion.

What are you doing with yours?
gone to pot :D

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
Re: soft fruit glut!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 10:38:15 »
Most of ours is very lightly cooked in the microwave with just a very little sugar, then eaten with yoghurt or branflakes for breakfast.  Doing it this way it freezes well, and if during the winter we fancy a pie or a crumble, then it's ideal for that too.

Oh, and friends and neighbours find soft fruit a most acceptable present.  Especially the jam-makers!

ARV

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 13:19:59 »
You could try fruit syrups, cordials or vinegars!

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 22:41:24 »
Brandy can deal with any fruit glut you might have, and you can use the cheap stuff you would be embarrassed to be seen lighting a christmas pud with too.... and at the end of it you have boozy soft fruit to use as a pudding ingredient and fruity booze to add to cheap fizzy white wine (cava or prosecco) next summer... 4lbs of fruit into a 5-litre water container with three bottles of cheap brandy, I'd be putting in some sugar, ... generally about half as much as the fruit for most things and 3/4 as much as the fruit for sloes (swap brandy for gin), but then I do like it sweet... also works well with cheap bourbon to make something nice out of bourbon... a pound of fruit to 2-pint container is my usual rule of thumb if you don't want to make gallon quantities adn it works fine with fruit that has been frozen...

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 08:38:42 »
If troubled by excess damsons, after the jam has been produed, they will pickle exceedingly well.
I guess you could also use other plums but not tried Victorias...
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal