Author Topic: Tomato reviews  (Read 19888 times)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Tomato reviews
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2014, 11:17:21 »
Jayb, annoying isn't it.  There are many of the modern 'new'  supermarket tomatoes that are actually OP although everybody 'says' they are hybrid.  Then apparently there is the opposite here  :BangHead:

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2014, 12:13:49 »
Have just Googled Sunstream seeds - it's open pollinated. Try Ericwallnursery.co.uk or Amazon. Sounds interesting.

Tricia
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 12:32:49 by tricia »

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2014, 12:21:56 »
Interesting the differences, Vitalis lists it as F1. As they are part of the Enza Zaden group, you'd have hoped they got the right info!

Jayb, annoying isn't it.  There are many of the modern 'new'  supermarket tomatoes that are actually OP although everybody 'says' they are hybrid.  Then apparently there is the opposite here  :BangHead:
I think some of the supermarket tomato varieties are bred using in-bred breeding lines that are indeed very similar in outward appearance, in order to give the desired F1 type they wish. This then does give somewhat more uniform looking and tasting F2's, than say crossing two different type heirlooms. 

Bizarrely at the other end, Thompson and Morgan, amongst others, have for some reason have been listing Sweet Aperitif as F1 when in fact the breeders list it as open pollinated along with their other lines Black Opal and Rosella. http://www.gourmetgenetics.com/tomato/aperitif.html
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2014, 13:02:26 »

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2014, 14:05:54 »
Red Alert

If you are looking for an early variety then Red Alert could be a decent choice.  Described variously as an extra early, bush type, sweet tasting, small fruiting, heavy cropper!  I've been growing them for the last couple of years and they are prolific and can be grown in soil, pots, in the greenhouse or outside so it is a versatile variety.    Taste wise they are sweet and juicy although they wont compare to Sungold in the sweetness stakes.  You can get seeds from several sources.

The only downside is that they can be a little unpredictable - they are dependent on early Summer conditions but the attraction is a tom that is done and dusted before the blight.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2014, 17:53:25 »
Thanks guys! I'm not that bothered if Sunstream does turn out to be an F1, because as you say Jayb it will still throw up some interesting plants. And if it's complete rubbish, well the seeds were free... ;)

Looks like it's tall, early, and the fruits are small and plum-shaped. It must have a good sweet-acid balance or I wouldn't have bothered to save it.

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2014, 17:56:25 »
Im with you on red alert,it was recommended to me as a hardy anti blight variety,and after moving here to Dorset I grew some in the garden GH and outside and although I lost quite a few other varieties to blight this season the Red Alert still kept producing
strongly,plus we enjoy its small sweet tomato flavour.

if I was to grow just the one I guess that variety would be it  !!!!!!!!!!

Gazza

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2014, 12:58:00 »
I haven't grown or tasted many types of tomato, so I'd love your recommendations!

I like my toms to be tangy and sharp and not sugary sweet (sweet is okay as long as it has enough acid for balance) with a nice strong tomato flavour. I don't mind what colour or shape or habit they are. I have to admit to a weakness for interestingly-coloured fruits and veggies, but I prioritise flavour over looks.

What do you think I'd like? I have a small greenhouse and could probably get 12 plants in there if I don't grow anything else in it!

Sungold is very sweet but for me does have very good balance with an assertive twang and good hit of tomato taste, my mouth waters when thinking of their flavour! Cherries do tend to have that sweet side which I love, I know not everyone loves the sweet though.

What are your favourite tomatoes so far and how do you most like to use them?

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2014, 22:07:02 »
I usually go for cherry tomatoes when I'm in the supermarket, but that's mostly because the "standard" ones are horrible mealy tomato-shaped cotton wool balls (expensive ones are much better, but I'm a cheapskate and resent spending so much). At least the cherries are sharp and juicy.

Out of the ones I've grown (not a big selection) I really liked Latah from Real Seeds and intend to try that again next year. Being a sprawling bush type it does take up a lot of precious greenhouse space but it grows millions of fruits and they taste good.

I've tried a couple of yellow cherry types that I wasn't impressed with because they didn't taste tomatoey enough. Similarly Green Zebra has a nice hit of acid but is otherwise too bland for me, which is a shame because I love the way it looks.

I guess essentially I want something early, sharp and tangy, not too sweet, strong tomatoey flavour without that "fluffy" texture you can get sometimes. Smaller fruits are probably better but I'm not at all precious about that.

I have one called Saucy to try for, well, sauce ;), that someone sent me from America a few years ago but I don't remember if I grew it or not. Will try a couple of plants this year but I'm mostly interested in tomatoes to eat fresh.

cestrian

• Half Acre
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2014, 00:27:47 »
This year I grew black cherry and ailsa craig. Big crops of both. I love the flavour of ailsa craig for quite a bigish tomato and black cherry is the perfect balance between sweet and sour for me. The most delish tom imo!! I think I got the seeds of Jayb a couple of years ago. muchos gracias Jayb!!  :wave:  Will definitely go for this pairing again. I eat the blackcherry like sweets through the day and the ailsa craig are great for cooking and sauces, or sliced on salads.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2014, 03:23:43 »
Spotted these Sunstreams in Sainsbury's earlier. I'm too cheap to buy any, but it was nice to see what they look like.

willsy

• Half Acre
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2014, 21:04:31 »
The "tres cantos" or three songs I grew this year where amazing in taste and size.. very, very, large. Definately going to grow again next year.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2016, 11:54:33 »
Regarding Sungold.. I have three or 4   stable dehybridised versions of it from different sources. Tatiana has done it and sells the seeds, the fruits are slightly bigger on all of them  and the flavor is pretty good and pretty close, although honestly Sungold still beats the,  My personal view and one I would follow if I was younger is they could come from the wild cheesemani which does have an excellent taste but it's just a guess..

Opalka as a paste tomato, just great makes wonderful sauce.

I was sent yet another Brandywine.. BR from Croatia which is excellent  and  another tomato called Hoy which is also excellent

If we are doing other veggies.. Shasta cauliflower, I have sent this to many folks who couldn't grow cauli and they did.

XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 11:56:05 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2016, 20:37:32 »
im growing loads of different sorts this year with my old favs my cherry types this season are idle, golden cherry, sungold, red pear, super sweet 100,gardeners delight,principle porcese and pink charmer salad type tamina,alicante,moneymaker,mountain magic and ailsa craig large tom type fandango, country taste, yellow stuffer,Cuore di Bue and brandywine thats my little lot for this year and im bound to plant some more as the season gets going
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2016, 07:33:18 »
We have 25 different indoor varieties germinated for this year, and 6 outdoor... pricking out to 3-6 of each over Easter..  :toothy10:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2016, 09:18:57 »
We have 25 different indoor varieties germinated for this year, and 6 outdoor... pricking out to 3-6 of each over Easter..  :toothy10:

That's a lot of work.  Hope that many of them will do well for you.  :sunny: Would you please let us know the winners, losers and also-rans at the end of the season?
 :wave:

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2017, 12:28:15 »
I'd like to put in a word for Black Opal, it's bred from Black Cherry and is OP. Skins don't split quite as easily as BC and it seems to be bit sturdier as well. It is just lovely :)

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2017, 14:04:40 »
this year not growing as many cherry types  just couldn't get through them all last year even with drying them still got 80 or so bottles of dehydrated cherry type  so I'm growing gardeners delight, sungold, sweet 100,tomatoberry, and i think its called sanantiono  and that's it oh i have one plant of sweet millions salad toms stonards exhibition , alicanti, Essex wonder ,moneymaker,roma,tamina ,mountain magic  beefsteak type yellow, stuffer, country taste, fandango, coure de beuf, big daddy and gigantomo around 10 of each however will make it up to the 200 with other varieties which are swapped with other plot holders
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2020, 07:54:10 »
I grew Latham from Real seeds at the lottie last year and hit the best crop of outdoor bush tomsties I’ve ever had, they got blight eventually but the Latah were the last plants standing! I’ve saved some seeds and are growing them again this year, plus Red Alert which also did very well.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2020, 14:32:53 »
Has anyone tried Ildi? I grew them quite a few years ago. I remember them being crazily prolific croppers but can't remember the flavour. I may give them another go next year, but wondered where they would be compared to other prolific croppers. Thanks :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal