Author Topic: Unidentified grub in soil.  (Read 2504 times)

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
Unidentified grub in soil.
« on: April 08, 2020, 21:24:31 »
I have a small area of ground at the back of our garden that I use to grow salad veg. I spread some used compost from my tubs and greenhouse plants a few weeks ago and then some manure . The manure was from a garden centre and I think it was Westlands.
I raked it all several times but in the last couple of days when sowing seed I found several large grubs in it. They are about an inch long and definitely aren't vine weevil or chafer grubs.
Attached is a picture of one of them. Any idea what they might be?

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
Re: Unidentified grub in soil.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 21:50:57 »
Possibly a type of dung beetle grub?  Given the manure it would make sense. I don't think they harm plants.  Others may know more.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 06:48:18 »
Too small for stag beetles larvae, too big for vine weevil, if you are lucky could be a beneficial rose chafer grub as they often live in compost heaps, otherwise I suspect it’s one of the many other chafer grubs which do root damage. That’s my best guess!?
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2020, 08:24:01 »
I have a small area of ground at the back of our garden that I use to grow salad veg. I spread some used compost from my tubs and greenhouse plants a few weeks ago and then some manure . The manure was from a garden centre and I think it was Westlands.
I raked it all several times but in the last couple of days when sowing seed I found several large grubs in it. They are about an inch long and definitely aren't vine weevil or chafer grubs.
Attached is a picture of one of them. Any idea what they might be?

Lunch for your Robin.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2020, 12:40:20 »
Looks like a cockchafer beetle larve.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

George the Pigman

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2020, 20:45:08 »
I thought of a that but they don't  have reddish head typical of them.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2020, 22:12:28 »

This is a photo I have of a Chafer beetle larvae and vine weevil larvae

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2020, 22:31:44 »
Looks to me like a cutworm: https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=910

Adrian
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

George the Pigman

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2020, 13:04:31 »
It does look like a cutworm of some sort but not the more common turnip cutworm which is blackish. What is puzzling is that the larvae aren't supposed to emerge until mid to late summer and its early April!
Anyone any ideas?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2020, 14:33:56 »
aren't supposed to emerge until mid to late summer

Its this crazy mixed up weather e.g. Yesterday woke up to a lovely Spring Morning, after lunch it was the height of Summer in the 70's, After tea it came somewhat Autumnal then at Dawn this morning it was winter ish with temperatures down to just above freezing, so you could say we got all our seasons in one day, is it any wonder that wildlife is confused!

I put the shortage of pollinators down to these warm Aprils when the come out only to find there is not a lot of feeding around and then come May when it is cold they are killed off because of their weakened state.

This is the third year in a row that we have had quite warm April's followed by cold May's only time will tell if May will be that way again!

I have lost nearly all my bedding plants ....they have fried... in days of yore I struggled to avoid leggy plants due to lack of light now we are getting too much in April hence the frying!

Can't get out to buy more seed because of the lockdown :BangHead:

I guess my Spring bulbs will suffer again this year! I am finding that if April continues as it started, the warm weather it will kill  off the leaves before they have had the chance to charge up the bulbs ready for next year.

Somewhere in the region of 60%-70% of my Daffodils were 'blind' this year so it looks like I will be buying new bulbs this year but it provokes a thought.... Will the bulbs I buy be charged up?

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2020, 21:19:22 »
aren't supposed to emerge until mid to late summer

Its this crazy mixed up weather

You're not wrong. I realised this arvo I have three heads on a globe artichoke!
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

George the Pigman

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2020, 21:21:26 »
Hi TeeGee
I suspect they are overwintering larvae but I have emailed Nemysis for advice. Mty need to use nematodes to control them.
As regards seeds I have no problems ordering seed fro Marshalls online at the moment.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal