Author Topic: Thunderbirds are go....  (Read 7062 times)

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Thunderbirds are go....
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2024, 14:34:43 »
Hi TeeGee.  Re the aloe vera and baking soda solution, of the 11 tomato seeds sown on the 2nd, 5 are already thru plus 3 out of 4 curcubits.   No chillies yet but, even so, I'm imprssed.
Obxx - Vendée France

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2024, 15:49:07 »
Thanks for getting back to me Obelixx

My germination times were; Cucumber 4 days, Tomatoes 5 Days, and Chillis 8 days.

Looks very similar! They were germinated in my homemade seed compost on a hotbed holding around 65-70° F (18-20°C)

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2024, 16:51:52 »
I've never noted germination times TeeGee but have a feeling tomatoes usually take a week to 10 days for me and chillies a bit more.   Other than the cucumbers, none of the ones I've sown this year were fresh seed, hence the experiment with the aloe vera.   The last of the curcubits are now thru too. 
Obxx - Vendée France

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #23 on: Yesterday at 13:11:28 »
Parsnips and carrots I planted at the start of the month are finally coming through...
Despite the cool weather the soil is warming up...

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #24 on: Yesterday at 15:22:43 »
Nearly all my tomato seeds popped between 4 and 11 days after sowing but are growing very slowly now as it's so cool.

All the squashes and courgettes popped in 4 days and have been rpicked out but the 2 out of 4 cucumber seedlings which germinated got eaten.  i've bought a plant to get ahead of the game.

Cavolo nero, PSB, garlic kale, 2 basils and some coriander, little gem, ruby chard and choggia beets have all done well and I'll finish pricking those out today and tomorrow but have no shelf space left and it's too cold for babies to go outside. 

Not one of my chillies has appeared, despite bottom heat.

Didn't get my potatoes planted till this week but now they've been generously watered by unexpected rain they should grow away quickly.   The beds we'd cleared for them and other veg had to be tickled again as they'd developed a crust.   Hard to make head or tail of this weather and these temperatures.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 15:27:06 by Obelixx »
Obxx - Vendée France

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: Yesterday at 19:20:28 »
Now planted out my broad beans, mangetouts and peas, the potatoes are showing and the onions and garlic look good. Waiting nervously for the tomatoes, courgettes and squash to germinate. I was going to sow brassicas and cucumbers this weekend, but it's still cold and other things have got in the way.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal