Author Topic: Type of netting to protect plants from wood pigeon damage.  (Read 151 times)

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
For many years to prevent devastation of our brassicas by the local large population of wood pigeons I and others on my site have used scaffolders debris netting  supported by hoops to cover them. Its supposed to stop butterflies getting in but I am more sceptical about the latter. Problem is though I think it blocks off a fair amount of light. Does anyone use an alternative?

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
I use debris netting for brassicas too. I haven’t been aware of any problems with lack of light. All kinds of brassicas develop well. I’m wondering whether you’ve noticed any problems with your brassicas which might be caused by poor light?
When butterflies have found a way in I have usually found that there’s a small hole somewhere or I hadn’t pegged it down quite well enough. I’ve heard of people sowing up the black seams, which tend to have bigger gaps, but I’ve not done that and haven’t felt the need to.
The alternatives are black butterfly netting, either the softer kind or the more obviously plastic stiffer kind. . Both are more expensive. The softer kind catch and are rather easily damaged I find, and the stiffer kind is just not as pleasant to handle. I imagine they let more light in though.
And then there’s mesh such as Enviromesh.  I don’t know how the light filtration compares but again it’s quite expensive.
Brassicas can stand a certain amount of shade so my own feeling is that debris netting works well but I’d be interested to know your experiences, G the P.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
I use debris netting and haven't noticed any problems with light levels.

Paulh

• Hectare
I use rigid netting with 7mm gauge mesh on my brassicas. The butterflies can't get through it but can lay eggs through it if there's a leaf in range. It cuts out a bit of light but not enough to seem to be an issue.

I use 19mm gauge flexible netting on my peas and fruit. It's easier to store than the rigid netting. The pigeons will reach through from a convenient perch (such as the hoops!), so you need to take that into account in the design.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal