Author Topic: What is it ?  (Read 4504 times)

fitzsie

• Acre
What is it ?
« on: July 12, 2014, 13:12:00 »
We have this plant growing in the garden which is growing like a weed and no matter what we do keeps coming back. It is now popping up in the lawn and continues to spread. We need to know what it is and how to get rid. It grows up in spikes and then spreads out with fine leaves. These are the photos

Bring back Spotty Dog........

Palladium

• Not So New ...
Re: What is it ?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 13:35:38 »
Looks like Mares Tail (or horse tail, horseweed) to me.  It is not easy to eradicate, brushwood killer will do it but may take several applications over a long period.  There is some advice I have seen which goes along the line of - Pull up what you can, rotovate to a depth of 12 inches, leave and treat and regrowth when it is 4 inches high with a strong weedkiller and keep repeating until it is gone.  Doesn't help you with your lawn!

MervF

• Half Acre
  • Poole, Dorset
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 10:58:39 »
My allotment is full of this and I have been trying to get rid of it for the last 12 years.   I dig it out every year and come June and July it grows furiously again.   This year I have tried just hoeing it off very regularly to see if it weakens it.   During the week I did spray a small patch of it with Resolva XtraTough - http://www.resolva-weeds.com/products/resolva-xtra-tough-weedkiller/ so will see over the next few weeks what happens.   The amount of marestail I get I think I will have to have a tankerful!!   My advice would be to dig out as far as possible when it comes up.   If it comes up near to crops, just hoe it off 2" or 3" below ground level, the deeper the better.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 12:09:35 »
The roots of this thing go down at least 30' so it will reappear whatever you do.   Depending on time and energy supplies you can pull it up and burn it or bin it.  Do not compost it.  You can hoe it off regularly or you can apply some serious weedkiller.  All of these actions need to be repeated  until it does start to weaken but digging is not recommended as this just creates lots more little root cuttings that proliferate.
Obxx - Vendée France

MervF

• Half Acre
  • Poole, Dorset
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 21:08:38 »
I sent an email to Westland who make Resolva asking if the Xtra Tough would kill marestail.   This is the reply I had:-

Mare’s Tail is notoriously difficult to kill, and the Resolva Extra Tough application may show an effect on the green part above the ground.   Despite having glyphosate (a systemic herbicide) we have not known this weed to be killed off completely due to the rhizome nature of its’ growth.

I thought this was very helpful and just goes to show that once established very difficult to eradicate.   I feel the only solution is to hoe off when it appears, as I have done for a number of years.   When I do the annual "dig" I do remove as many roots as I can.

pumkinlover

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 08:19:47 »
Bob Flowerdew ( Have I mentioned he is my hero!!!) says that repeated ( and I mean repeated) mowing and hoeing will keep it under control

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 08:29:45 »
Have you tried lime?

fitzsie

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 19:07:31 »
Sounds like we will never eradicate it then. We back onto a railway line so you can guess where the marestail has come from! Have bought some brushwood killer and will just keep at it. Wonder what that railways would say about it.....
Bring back Spotty Dog........

gowdin

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 18:24:45 »
My granddad worked down the pit and said he found the roots down there, so it is very deep.  he used to say never let it see a Sunday, and regular weeding will help to weaken it.  I have also read that it grows stronger on poor soil so  digging manure or compost based products into your soil may help. 

I don't add this to  my garden compost as each little segment can regrow.  I have also read that you can eat the young thin shoots lightly steamed (a bit like asparagus) but I haven't tried this. 

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 19:04:09 »
I tend to agree with Digeroo and Obelix

I have found that this pernicious weed which apparently has been around since prehistoric times usually grows in acidic soils so by increasing the pH by adding lime and constant hoeing, you will eventually  get rid of it over a period of two to three years, more if it has formed a mat over the area!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 19:34:59 »
The stuff has its roots under the Devil's throne, so you can never dig it out. It might be wiser not to go too deep! Just keep hammering it, and you can at least keep on top.

willsy

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2014, 21:24:45 »
Look up "Kurtail" on google. It is quite expensive but it does work.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2014, 06:32:51 »
Look up "Kurtail" on google. It is quite expensive but it does work.
THERE'S ANOTHER EVER RELIABLE FONT OF EXPERIENCE/WISDOM AVAILABLE TO YOU HERE.:
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=72659.0
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2014, 22:27:20 »
Bruise it by stamping on it or whatever before you spray it. Use Roundup at stump treatment rate (20 per cent Roundup in water). Remember this will kill everything not just the mares tail. It does neutralise in th esoil so does not cause long term problems in the soil.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal