Author Topic: Apple glut  (Read 2156 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Apple glut
« on: July 16, 2014, 17:13:37 »
Hi

We have 4 trees dripping with apples tried one a few weeks ago and they were not quite sweet enough to eat so hoping they will be ok now.

Any ideas what i can do with them?

Cam

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Apple glut
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 17:17:06 »
One year I made some nice apple jellies flavoured with herbs.  Uses up under ripe ones when I pick the excess off the trees to leave single fruits.

We now have porkers on site and they love apples even the ones with maggots in them.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 10:15:33 »
It seems to me to be quite early for apples. Make sure they are really ripe before picking or the flavour is not so nice.
How do you store them? If you store them on flat trays, separated from each other, in a dark cool place, they will last ages. You can also bottle them as applesauce. Here in France when people have too many they go to a press and transform them into juice...
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 22:42:11 »
Cider?

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 14:36:01 »
We're in a similar position.  It depends very much on the variety of apple.  So far we've had Worcesters and Discoveries, being the early varieties.  They need a day or two after picking to mature, then they're ready to eat.  They don't keep at all well, so if that's the sort of thing you're picking, you can only eat them fresh or perhaps lightly cook them in the microwave, chill them, and eat them for breakfast with yoghurt or cereal.

The expected surplus of later apples can again be lightly cooked and then frozen, or wrapped in newspaper and stored.  Depending on variety, some will keep until after Christmas.

It's at this point that one appreciates the good keeping qualities of Cox and related varieties!

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 08:34:40 »
Down south from here is the perfect answer...
thegardencidercompany.co.uk/
I can personally endorse their product, but in moderation of course!
Doubtless there are other similar ventures around, google to find your nearest.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal