Author Topic: Christmas Cake  (Read 1904 times)

Spireite

• Half Acre
Christmas Cake
« on: August 07, 2014, 21:28:02 »
Trying to be organised and made the first (of maybe 4-5) rich Christmas cakes today.  I love the smell of Christmas baking.  Now I just need to help it mature with the odd basting of brandy or Cointreau.
N. Herts, just acquired first allotment in Aug 2014.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
Re: Christmas Cake
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 21:37:17 »
Crikey!you 'r early! Havent we got summer,Micklemas, autumn,halloween,Guy Fawkes and the Scottish referendum to enjoy first. I'd vote for a fruit cake for each of them in turn!
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 23:25:28 »
I made last years Xmas cake in October last year ... it was worth putting the early organisation in ... definitely matured with age.  Just finished the last bit a couple of weeks ago ... the booze is definitely a preservative!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 09:22:52 »
I am in awe at you being so organised Spireite!

I often forget and then opt for boiled fruit cake which I can make the day before Christmas - just thought I'd mention that.    :toothy10:

In a blind taste test how may people can actually tell the difference?  Nevertheless, I can certainly tell the difference between a bought cake and a homemade one, so haven't let my family down entirely, I guess.   :wave: 

« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 09:25:53 by galina »

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 10:56:34 »
Even a pretty mediocre home-made cake tastes better than a shop one, in my opinion.

Spireite

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 13:02:37 »
Rich fruit cake is something I grew up watching my Mother and Grandma making...it's sponges I have had to teach myself this last few years, esp as they were something my mother never really made . Due to the weather I am indoors with cakes number 2 and 3 in the oven right now. :happy7:

Silverleaf...absolutely, I find it scary when I read their ingredients...I've recently been on a (hospital) restricted diet meaning a lot more fresh home cooked food...and I was also advised to avoid preservatives, I've learnt a lot this past few weeks.
N. Herts, just acquired first allotment in Aug 2014.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 22:26:09 »
It shocks me the most when I see the prices of shop Christmas cakes. £10 or more for a small horrible dry boring cake with not enough marzipan and too much nasty fondant icing?

I can make my own much better cake for much cheaper, with no icing (don't like any icing on my Christmas cake, far too sweet).

And yes you're right, the ingredients lists can be scary.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal