Author Topic: I saw my new plot today  (Read 4654 times)

Spireite

• Half Acre
I saw my new plot today
« on: July 18, 2014, 19:34:46 »
I'm going to try and attach a pic to this thread as after a bit of liaising with the council I've been offered a half plot  (about 30 sq ft) right on the access road down the middle of the site.  Also directly opposite a tap ~ handy.  Obviously a lot of work to come...so won't produce anything until next year probably....it looks like the previous tenant left me some potatoes!!![/img]
N. Herts, just acquired first allotment in Aug 2014.

Spireite

• Half Acre
Re: I saw my new plot today
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 19:35:32 »

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 19:40:42 »
Congratulations!  I remember that scene very well.  We too took on our first allotment in July, and my goodness, the weeds!

But if you go at it systematically, all will come good, and you can look forward to great crops in 2015.

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
    • Parking Ticket Appeals Service
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 19:59:49 »
You will hve that cracked:) right next to a tap is good to. 

Is that a view I spy in the background :)?

digmore

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 07:50:27 »
Hi, just a quickie.

Dig a bit, plant a bit, you have loads of time to plan next year but don't waste this one. Start with some salad crops and then think about some winter crops.

Everybody has different ideas, but I would spray weeds carefully to avoid drift on to other plots, (use a funnel attachment). Leave till weeds turn brown, then start digging. In the mean time grow in pots, winter spuds in bags etc.

But most of all enjoy, treat success and failure just the same, learn from both.

Digmore.  :wave:

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 10:25:28 »
It's a tough time of year to take on a plt, but hopefully the rain will soften the soil and make it easierto dig, an=d at least you can see what weeds are growing!

Spireite

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 11:15:17 »
My plan is to strim/scythe/ shear off weeds at ankle level....the tip is  only 1/4 mile away so it may be a case of loading up the boot and going home via the tip a few times until I've cleared enough space for a compost pile....I've already spied a lot of bindweed...in a pretty pink/white variety... so that's got to go
 Then have a go at digging up those spuds...then maybe preparing for some over winter onions or garlic.    Maybe getting hold of some carpet to cover the bits I can't get to yet....and then dig at least one patch for next year's pumpkin....so many plans....my mother in law is fancying sweetcorn, beans, rhubarb, beetroot, radishes, she has offered to help a little so no doubt will have a row or 2 to herself....I don't mind so long as I eventually get to grow at least 2 large pumpkin plants....and maybe a jack o lantern plant for the children...
No doubt my body will slow me down at some point....

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 14:02:23 »
I wouldn't waste the goodness and organic matter tied up in all that foliage by taking it to the dump.  Why not start the compost pile straight away?  I know there will be weed seeds ... but frankly they probably won't add much to the amount that will already be in the ground there!

I started with the same kind of scene  as you - head high in weeds and the odd potato, jerusalem artichoke and rhubarb hiding underneath left by the previous tenants.  I didn't take anything to the tip apart from some old bits of plastic and rotting carpets and I'm sure the soil is better for it.

Spireite

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 18:31:22 »
I always worry about composting down weeds....Im really picky about what goes into my dalek bin in the garden at home....but I will have to start somewhere....officially it's not mine until the beginning of August...

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2014, 20:01:49 »
If you get a few pallets you can use them to burn the weeds, or at least "cook" them enough to kill the seeds, plenty of things like a bit of weathered ash....

Spireite

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2014, 13:13:43 »
OK, just been down to the allotment site and chatted with the people in the cabin shop and the neighbouring plots, lots of friendly advice...I now have a contact for the town's city farm as a manure supplier   :toothy10:   Apparently I've been given "George's plot", a gentleman who was very active for 10+ years on his site who has had to give up due to poor health...so It hasn't been tended properly for nearly 3 years...there should be lots of fertile land under all that grass...and the back half of the plot (that hasn't been allocated to me) is full of fruit...  gooseberries, raspberries etc...I also spotted a couple of brambles over that way too, maybe something to keep an eye on taking over in a couple of years once I know I can manage this half..
I can't wait to get started properly...I got the contract signed and witnessed this morning so I shall try and take it in to the council offices this week.  :sunny:

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2014, 16:10:02 »
As said a little at a time, mark out a 6 foot square and attack that then so on. Don't waste time at the dump as said make a makeshift compost and leave it there at a later date burn if your worried about weed seeds or take it to the dump or do you have green recycle bins at home when its more managable. :wave:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 10:26:43 »
Definitely agree with the others, pile up all the green waste in a corner somewhere, it is your precious organic matter!!
And if you clear a small patch you can start with several things right now - the oriental cabbages, pak choy etc, scarole lettuces and lamb's lettuce and if you get plug plants you have plenty of time still for winter cauli, and cabbage. You can also put leek plants in now still.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

nodig

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2014, 22:15:49 »
Borrow a goat, and buy a length of rope and a stake.  The rope should be no longer than half the diameter of your plot.  Drive the stake into the ground at the midpoint of your plot.  Attach the goat to the rope and the rope to the stake.  Point the goat at a tangent to an imaginary circle and leave him for about 2 weeks.  On returning to the plot, bag up the goat manure, and return the goat.  Alternatively if the grass is very dry set fire to it.  The farmers call it slash and burn, just don't bother with the slashing bit.

pumkinlover

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2014, 08:07:01 »
Borrow a goat, and buy a length of rope and a stake.  The rope should be no longer than half the diameter of your plot.  Drive the stake into the ground at the midpoint of your plot.  Attach the goat to the rope and the rope to the stake.  Point the goat at a tangent to an imaginary circle and leave him for about 2 weeks.  On returning to the plot, bag up the goat manure, and return the goat.  Alternatively if the grass is very dry set fire to it.  The farmers call it slash and burn, just don't bother with the slashing bit.

Great ideas for the farm environment. Might not go down so well on a council owned allotment site :glasses9:
(Though a farm is more what it looks like at the moment)
Good luck Spireite!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 08:09:01 by pumpkinlover »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal