Author Topic: First sightings  (Read 8376 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Re: First sightings
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2005, 09:35:55 »
And there was a lacewing in the kitchen last night. I showed it to Mr Aqui and told him not to squash it. I'm hoping it'll munch the whitefly off my lettuces on the windowsill.
gone to pot :D

lilylover

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2005, 17:32:40 »
Lots of big bumblebees over the weekend   :) and some bluebottles  :( sadly no ladybugs or butterflies yet but enough frog spawn to shake a stick at and they're still at it  :o If anyone in this part of the world wants some they are quite welcome to it as the fish want the pond back  ;D
Is it wrong to fancy Lucius Malfoy?

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2005, 19:33:23 »
I had my first sighting in my garden of the Pied Wagtail today.  He usually leaves during Autumn and returns about now, so pleased to see them back again.  I am also enjoying the Lapwings display in the field, something I look forward to each Spring.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2005, 19:51:24 »
I've got pheasants all over the place making a right racket.  I think they're all escapees from a local shoot and are hiding in my garden where they know they'll be safe.  They were stuffing themselves over the winter with windfalls I left for them so they were probably too fat to fly off.  When it's windy they get themselves under the ivy on the wall and take cover but on top of the wall (odd that)
I came, I saw, I composted

LynneA

• Half Acre
  • Urban arable smallhoder
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2005, 23:48:30 »
Cleaned the excess weed from the big pond weekend before last, and when I looked in on Saturday, there was a huge mass of spawn in the cleared area.

I've seen the odd bumble bee on sunny days since January, but now they're out and about with a vengance.  The ladybirds are coming out of hibernation and we're starting to see moths again.

Loads of birds around (I'll have to do a list one day), and I'm beginning to suspect the rooks have moved into the area.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2005, 08:52:39 »
I've seen one bumblebee, a few ladybirds but no moths or butterflies yet.  Eyes peeled.  Birds are checking out the facilities for nesting and I've got a robin busy nest building as I type this post.  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

markp

• Not So New ...
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2005, 11:44:10 »
I noticed that I had frogspawn in my allotment pond on 7 March this year - several days ahead of the spawn which appeared in the back garden. And the allotment is a more exposed site. BTW, common frogs aren't protected although certain toads are. If anyone sees what looks like toad spawn - thin strips of eggs - contact your local wildlife trust or English Nature.

jammyd

• Half Acre
  • upon the pile, shovelling muck - james & son
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2005, 14:10:09 »
I've noticed that over the past week there have been a few moths trying to headbutt their way through the living-room window at night... Have also seen some *massive* bumble bees, a couple of butterflies (not sure which type - they had orangey brown markings), honey bees and ladybirds at the weekend.

j

waggi

• Hectare
    • wagalicious
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2005, 16:00:51 »
i have seen 2 squashed frogs  :'(

Nigella

• Quarter Acre
  • Plant it, eat it!
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2005, 16:31:10 »
5 frogs - and lots of frog spawn in my pond on 17th March.

Ladybird and bumble bee at the weekend.

Hopefully lots more this weekend as well ... will be in the lottie / garden  :)

Nigella

• Quarter Acre
  • Plant it, eat it!
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2005, 16:32:26 »
ooh also I saw a bright yellow butterfly - same type as marky maybe ? Not sure what it was ....

osprey480

• Not So New ...
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2005, 20:39:07 »
probably a brimstone butterfly-seen a few here as well.

markp

• Not So New ...
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2005, 11:13:30 »
I saw four newts in my allotment pond this week. What a thrill. First time I've seen them and only the second time I've seen them in the wild. Definitely Smooth Newts - marked with leopard spot colourings on the underneath. Not big enough for Greater Crested Newts, which are protected. Still...a definite thrill. Anyone got newts?

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2005, 15:28:12 »
Digging the borders today, I came across some thick grey/green type caterpilars... No idea what they are, maybe butterflies to be so put them back in the borders.

Will have to wait and see if they are friend or foe  ::) ???
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2005, 13:12:45 »
Saw - and heard - a song thrush belting his little heart out from the top of a willow tree this morning.  Sad that we don't see anything like enough of them these days.

All best - Gavin

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2005, 17:51:00 »
Today, two robins arrived to feed and then proceded to fight each other. 

Both with thingyedup (initially typed in "c o c k e d  up" but keeps coming back to "thingyedup" ?? tails and showing off their redbreasts to each other.  Fought in mid air for a while but there was no winner.

I was too fascinated to think of getting my camera.
 :D
« Last Edit: March 27, 2005, 20:10:31 by Marianne »

Rose.mary

• Acre
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2005, 20:07:36 »
We have newts on our allotment in Sowerby Bridge but they are not the protected ones?
We also have loads of toads(sounds good) and I nearly speared one with my fork the other day. I did not know they went under the soil. I picked it up and put it near the pond on the next allotment. I saw loads last week, I think the word has got round that I don't hurt them.
Rosemary

Rose.mary

• Acre
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2005, 20:11:33 »
I forgot to say that I have had lots of bumble bees that look to be searching for something. Could it be a home, and if so does anybody know how to make one for them please?
Rosemary

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2005, 20:46:47 »
Rose Mary

I did not know frogs live in the soil  ???  Thought they lived nearby ponds (on the surface).

Bumblebees are probably looking for food and there is not too much around for the time being.  I do not believe they need "housing" as such.
 :D

Rose.mary

• Acre
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2005, 21:05:29 »
Marianne
These are toads all knobbly. I lifted a bit of old carpet today to tidy a place ready for my new cold frames and a toad had made a little hole in the soil under the carpet just big enough for him to fit in. I put the carpet back smartly I can wait a while longer for my cold frames. I don't know how he will get out as the carpet is really heavy.
Rosemary

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal