Author Topic: 'Misted tips' strawberry plants....worth it or not?  (Read 4542 times)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
'Misted tips' strawberry plants....worth it or not?
« on: July 15, 2014, 08:53:18 »
My strawberry patch is currently in a state of sad disarray.  :sad11:
The plants were from Ken Muir and Marshalls four years ago and have performed very well until this year, but now need replacing, even the self set runners have turned up their toes so I shall have to buy in fresh stock.

I have had several recent missives from Marshalls and Ken Muir offering 'misted tip' plants  that can get established and fruit well in their first year allegedly: worth doing or not? Anyone tried these?
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: 'Misted tips' strawberry plants....worth it or not?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 09:21:09 »
If you set runners now in litre pots which are kept moist and heavily fertized you can have a good crop from them next year.  My first year runner have been excellent.  Remember feed feed feed feed.

Did I remember to mention about feeding them?

Do you have access to recycled compost, strawberries love it?  It is on sale round here of £1 a bag.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 13:12:35 »
No runners survived I'm afraid so not an option for me....
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

cudsey

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 20:12:44 »
I bought misted tips bare rooted strawberries from Marshalls variety Vibrant I planted them in a raised bed about 4 weeks ago they  are doing brilliantly and have quite a lot of fruit on,  so at the moment I would say they are worth buying
Barnsley S Yorks

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 22:52:49 »
That's helpful, isn't Vibrant what Marshmarvel used to be called ?

cudsey

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 19:26:47 »
must admit I am not sure  I had an allotment for 9 years and was never very successful with strawberries I got offered a plot right opposite my house this year and inherited some strawberries so dont know what variety but they have all been eaten by what I thought was slugs but on looking closely at one they are being eaten by leatherjackets I have pegged lots of runners so keeping my fingers crossed
Barnsley S Yorks

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 19:07:10 »
I was bemused at what was eating our strawberries. They were covered in IKEA nets but there were red stains & holes in the net so I assumed birds but have been assured that it's the pesky mice. They nibble the fruit but also remove them at various stages. There were white , pink & red all at the top of the bed. Deb P, several suppliers do offers on runners.
Fothergils have a free postage offer this weekend, I'm going to see if they have anything I might fancy. Free postage makes it more worthwhile.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal