Author Topic: Grhh, I am blighted  (Read 5902 times)

strawberry1

• Hectare
Re: Grhh, I am blighted
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2014, 19:40:51 »

I am not sure why you are watering twice a day? In my mind this may contribute to the blight problem. Tomatoes grow in very hot climates remember and they get strong roots and vines if you water copiously but not all the time. I bury bottles with a hole in the top and fill the bottles so they drip into the soil. But certainly not every day and mine are outdoors and in a warmer clime than Britain... Mulch heavily and remove foliage regularly to get good air circulation.  Don't let them get too tall and remove the superfluous tender growth; You need to be tough with them!!!

I use growpots and any water does not touch leaves, I removed the lower leaves. I don`t give them a lot of water but the water trickles down into the holes, which makes it more consistent. They are in growpots standing on soil in buckets. I have had wonderful crops year after year but not had blight until this year. Farmers not far away lost whole fields full of potatoes last year and I believe blight spores have moved around

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: Grhh, I am blighted
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2014, 09:04:21 »
too late of blight has got there, bordeaux is a preventative..

Spraying with BM even after blight has taken hold will certainly slow down the rate of infection.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal