Author Topic: Suggestions for following on garlic and first earlies  (Read 2253 times)

newspud9

• Half Acre
Suggestions for following on garlic and first earlies
« on: July 12, 2014, 21:46:52 »
Have just dug up garlic and first earlies and interested to know what others usually follow on with as still have maybe 3 months left to sow-grow-harvest.

Thanks for all the responses

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Suggestions for following on garlic and first earlies
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 23:04:17 »
I will be following on with my winter greens e.g. Various  cabbage,broccoli and cauliflower

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 23:10:31 »
Any of the winter brassicas, PSB, winter cabbage and caulies, kales.
I'm putting in some more courgettes that will be cropping within a month, and salads and Chinese veg are quick and easy too.
You might get some dwarf french beans to crop as well, I started some off in modules last Saturday in my propagator and they came through in two days, outside day three, went in the lottie today!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 23:16:06 »
Have just dug up garlic and first earlies and interested to know what others usually follow on with as still have maybe 3 months left to sow-grow-harvest.

Thanks for all the responses

Growing doesn't need to stop in October!, perhaps you emigrate to avoid the cold but many of us tough it out right through. In most years you can ,with careful planning , have something on the go around the year.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 15:02:25 »
One technique for future reference is to grow these things next to where the pumpkins/squashes/courgettes are.... you dig out a crop and the growing franken-cucurbit occupies the space... it saves having a big patch of bare soil around them when you plant....

newspud9

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 22:10:14 »
Lots of very helpful stuff here for which many thanks

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 22:19:56 »
I have never been able to successfully grow the chinese cabbage and pak choi stuff from late summer sowings.  They all bolt in the autumn or get eaten by slugs and snails ... I'll give it one more go because I really want to try making kimchi from home-grown stuff.

I have had some fantastic winter crops of mustard though from summer plantings ... land cress stands the winter and makes a lovely alternative to watercress soup with the added bonus that you can dig it in as a green manure too in the spring.  Mooli and other big radishes will work well as will turnips.  There's still time for florence fennel, beetroots, autumn carrots and the traditional winter brassicas too.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 08:47:48 »
I am a huge fan of Russian Kale.  It crops right through the winter and the flower shoots are better tasting and more reliably than purple sprouting.   

Thanks for reminding me, it is seeding at the moment and need to be caught before the seeds go everywhere.

I am a bit fan of cress too.  Wrinkle Crinkle is my favourite.  It is there all winter.

Now is the time to sow spring greens I have just thrown some seeds into a yoghurt pot.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 11:33:45 »
In place of my spuds, I have put in leek plants and broccoli.  Some onions have come out so I replaced them with the last sowing of French beans and beetroot. The other onions will be replaced by caulis and winter cabbage.
I agree, I hope to have crops all through the winter this year! Brussel sprouts, kale, swiss chard, leeks, romanesco, lamb's lettuce, winter lettuce under plastic - all these will see you through the winter with a minimum of fuss (feed a little and hoe, shouldn't really need to water once the autumn rains come).
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal