Author Topic: Small Cauliflowers  (Read 1722 times)

bluecar

• Acre
Small Cauliflowers
« on: August 09, 2014, 17:50:11 »
Hello all.

I've just started to harvest my cauliflowers. they are small (about 4 inches diameter) but, as they say, perfectly formed.

My questions are:

1. Is there something I could have done to encourage greater growth?

2. Is there something I can do to get better growth for those that haven't formed yet?

Regards

Bluecar

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Small Cauliflowers
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 18:53:41 »
You do not mention the variety.

Q1; I only use F1 varieties as this take most of the mystery out of growing them.

e.g Candid Charm

Q2; I would say no simply for the same reason.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 19:14:53 »
First time I grew them, I started harvesting at that size, then decided to try leaving them a bit longer. They grew to a good size. Are you being too impatient?

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 08:15:50 »
I find caulis very fickle.  They seem to like a lot of feeding and watering.  Problem with leaving them to get bigger is that you then leave them too long and they bolt and loose their shape quite suddenly and go rather tough.

Though I grew two superb caulis last year with no effort, except they came from a packet of kale seeds.

I think I might give the candid charm a try.

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 08:20:46 »
Thanks for your thoughts.

I am growing 2 sorts:

All year round

Romanesco.

The romanesco that I cut yesterday was slightly bigger than the all year round, but the one next to it was about the same size but had already bolted

Bluecar

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 10:11:04 »
Hi Bluecar

In the first instance Romanesco is not a Cauli it is  Broccoli so the size you are getting is quite normal.

Being a Broccoli means once you cut the head off side shoots will eventually appear to form Broccoli spears thus extending the cropping season.

All the year round is a Cauli, but I find the name rather misleading, and it should be sown quite early in the season to get any success I would never entertain it on my plot.

With Caulis  I only grow F1 hybrids.

I hope this helps....Tg

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 11:03:15 »
So Romanesco Cauliflower isn't really a cauli! So mistake number one I cut the head off, removed the leaves of the stalk for composting and left the stalk to dry before burning. 0h well at least I've still got some left to try to harvest in the way you suggest Tee Gee.

Robert, I'll see whether the other all year round get any bigger.

Regards

Bluecar

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal