Author Topic: Growing gooseberries in containers  (Read 2491 times)

davholla

• Hectare
Growing gooseberries in containers
« on: January 12, 2015, 22:13:40 »
Has anyone ever done this?  Any advice?  Also where is a good place to buy a big container.

gazza1960

• Hectare
Re: Growing gooseberries in containers
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 22:50:36 »
Certainly no difficulty in getting a crop from growing in a large tub.

We moved from our Plot last Feb and I couldn't leave the Red and Green Goosies behind so they were uprooted well watered and re potted in good compo and travelled with us to Dorset,last summer they thrived really well as I had not decided on a permanent
position for them in our garden.

So are wintering in their pots,these are bushes that are 4 to 5 seasons old too so just shows the longevity the humble Goosy
can still fruit after being unceremoniously yanked from their homes and put in pots.

I guess your garden centre will provide you with pots we used 2o inch sq plastic  pots with a drainage plate in the bottom and they were bluddy heavy to move......but well worth the trouble....don't know varieties as they were given us by another plot holder.

Good Luck

Gazza

davholla

• Hectare
Re: Growing gooseberries in containers
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 13:27:50 »
Certainly no difficulty in getting a crop from growing in a large tub.

We moved from our Plot last Feb and I couldn't leave the Red and Green Goosies behind so they were uprooted well watered and re potted in good compo and travelled with us to Dorset,last summer they thrived really well as I had not decided on a permanent
position for them in our garden.

So are wintering in their pots,these are bushes that are 4 to 5 seasons old too so just shows the longevity the humble Goosy
can still fruit after being unceremoniously yanked from their homes and put in pots.

I guess your garden centre will provide you with pots we used 2o inch sq plastic  pots with a drainage plate in the bottom and they were bluddy heavy to move......but well worth the trouble....don't know varieties as they were given us by another plot holder.

Good Luck

Gazza

Do you mean this sort of thing?
http://www.plantpotsdirect.com/plant-pots/50cm-round-plant-pot.html

(Although yours are square) is that the sort of price you paid?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal