Author Topic: Weedkiller Advice Please  (Read 2542 times)

Golach

• Half Acre
Weedkiller Advice Please
« on: June 19, 2014, 18:47:06 »
Just swapped my No.2 plot for another which has a shed on it (needs some minor repair but is a 6 x 8 shed).

This plot is a lot better than the one I've just given up and has mainly couch grass on it and a few nettles round the shed.  As it is late in the season for growing anything on it, I thought the best thing to do would be weedkill it and get it ready for next season so can anyone recommend a good weedkiller that kills couch grass and the roots please?

The problem with the plot I've just given up was there was so much stuff buried in it - strong netting under 2 inches of dead weeds and soil, carpet buried the same and it was very lumpy and bumpy (mounds up to 18 inches high or more).  Also had loads of cutworm on it.  Compared to my No.1 plot which lies behind it, No.2 plot was a nightmare.  No.1 plot is now happily growing things including my Christmas dinner (Brussels Sprouts).

Really pleased the council let me swap it for the other one (although the chap did say I could have the three if I wanted LOL).   My car is off the road at the moment waiting to get MOTd.  I lost my job the other week too which couldn't have come at a worse time so a plot with a shed on it really is a Godsend.

We lost our branch manager in the morning (he walked out) and I had a massive row with one of the directors in the afternoon through something I had nothing to do with.  The branch manager has now started up his own company and asked me to go work for him but as the company is still in it's infancy, finances haven't been sorted out yet.

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
Re: Weedkiller Advice Please
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 19:22:41 »
when i am doing paths and the like on the allotment i use clinc ace its glyphosate based and works very well on everything it touches.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 22:40:43 »
Roundup Ultra 3000.  Brilliant stuff.  Cheaper from Amazon than most other retailers.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Golach

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 01:12:28 »
Thanks everyone.  I hate using weedkiller but having done No.1 plot the old fashioned way - dig it and pull out the roots which has worked really well we still have half of that plot to do so slow progress although very effective.  Need to get the new one ready so weedkilling it should, hopefully work quicker.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 13:05:14 »
We were given the other half of our plot which was a big mess, horsetail, bindweed, couch grass & ground elder. I hate chemicals as I have health problems & we really don't know what they're doing to us or the environment buy I suggested to OH that we used it. He ummed & ahhed but at the age of 71 decided he would double dig etc. It took him 4 weeks, he lost nearly a stone in weight whilst consuming lots of Mars bars. I'm very proud of him. He was made a beautiful cake by a fellow plot holder to celebrate his final dig.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 09:05:29 »
I ordered roundup (though not the ultra) from Tesco can be collected from any store even quite small ones. 

Due to illness part of my plot is now rather overgrown, and I decided I would have to take action and kill a few things off.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 16:16:34 »
It's always a toss up between the guilt associated with weedkiller use vs the grind of digging the weeds out, but having seen my plot get overgrown in the six weeks I've been poorly I decided to do a combination of both. I cut down the docks first and bagged them, then used Wilkinson's tough weed killer in a spray on the paths. Elsewhere I weeded and dug out by hand as I felt well enough, and although still have a way to go before my neat plot emerges again , it's amazing how much you can get done in an hour or so a day.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal