Author Topic: Never had this before  (Read 5414 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Never had this before
« on: June 19, 2014, 07:50:11 »
Woke up last week with an ache in my upper jaw, Not another tooth ache I thought and grabbed the painkillers, the ache went and I thought that was that. Then I decided to scrub the dogs up as they stank something awful. Dogs nice and clean, but still the terrible smell. So I decided to track it down. Missus could not smell it, son could not smell it, but it was rank and I sorted out food cupboards, fridge, dog baskets, everything that was likely to be smelly.

Then my face ballooned out and I found out my sinus was infected, a course of anti biotics has sorted it but I cannot breathe through through my snotterbox. I did read somewhere you can flush them out with saline solution. Has anybody done this as I haven't a clue how to do it.

This getting old game and all the silly ailments that go with it. It's not good is it.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Never had this before
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 08:18:39 »
Nope, haven't done it, BUT I have been in presence of somebody who did and I could say...I was 'assisting' her.

What you need is 'body warm' saline water and plenty of it...small spouted container (houseplant watering can is good...or water bottle with drinking nozzle..etc.)....TIE your hair back as it is going to be messy job!......get water down to hole (ONE AT THE TIME), some will go down and most not, but it is about 'flushing'..what goes down you need to get out of your mouth or through other nostril  (or what ever possible way it wants to exit you body  :tongue3:) ..DO NOT SWALLOW!
You need to wear your rags or do it possibly naked..it can be messy job..spare neighbours from the show if you do it in garden, it aint pretty job to do :icon_cheers: Lot of not so nice noises involved too..

« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 08:22:26 by goodlife »

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 08:23:50 »
I just though to have a look if the youtube have sinus rinses film....OH YES they do....is there anything people won't film themselves doing...?
here, take you pick...https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=sinus+rinse

pg

• Acre
    • Freelance wine writer
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 08:25:41 »
As someone who gets repeat sinus infections I've come across this, tried it a couple of times but not convinced. Just put small amount of warm saline into hand, nose over, then push head back with hand following. Idea is saline goes up the nose. As goodlife suggests, messy and cough-worthy.

Alternative is to do anything that gets stuff inside moving, so chilli, onions, running around, massaging sinus area either side of nose at base and top (good one and works well), steam plus relieving with sinus pills. Expect your sinuses to take about 4 to 6 weeks to recover. Oh yes and humming. Again not sure of long-term effects but do it and you'll feel your sinuses vibrate.

Anyone with other known working ideas for sinuses, let us know!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 08:36:59 »
you can also buy ready made sinus kits like this.... http://www.boots.com/en/NeilMed-Sinus-Rinse-Kit_121768/
..other sellers and kits do exist as well...

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 10:00:31 »
Bit pricey for me when all you need is a bike pump and salt water :happy7:

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 10:04:00 »
Bit pricey for me when all you need is a bike pump and salt water :happy7:

...that's one way of doing it.... :icon_cheers:

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 10:16:50 »
I have always suffered from sinus problems and old doc recommended friars balsam.  You put a few drop on boiling water and put a towel over your head and breathe it in.  Use an old utensil jug or saucepan because it does not wash off easily.   My grandmother was keen on it as well. 

Mind you if you can breathe than this is not much use, but may help once things start to move a little.   What does your doc suggest?

There is a saying that youth is wasted on the young.   Hope you get better soon.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 10:32:12 »
   What does your doc suggest?

Just the usual anti biotics to clear up the infection, which it has done. I just feel so blocked up though I thought a clear out might help. Breathing in the vapours might help if I can sniff enough up there.
I shall steep some myrtle in boiling water and give that a go, it always used to work when the snotterbox got bunged up with cold.

Also my breath smells like after a good night out, when you wake up in the morning and find a gorilla has thrown all your clothes around the room and then p!ssed in your mouth
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 10:36:35 by ACE »

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2014, 10:54:26 »
Your idea is a very good one Ace. I suffered for several years with recurrent sinus infections until an ear nose throat doctor told me how to clean them out. Best instrument is actually a small flexible plastic bottle that you can insert into a nostril, as a little gentle (very gentle) pressure is good. (Here in France they have little suction devices used to clean babies' noses, they are good as they can be filled and squirt the solution out)
Boil water and make the saline solution with about a level teaspoon of SEA salt (not table salt) to a large mug of water. Cover and leave to cool to body temperature and use this to fill your washer bottle.
It's not that messy if you can get the thing up your nostril! Lean over the sink, and tilt your head to one side and slightly back. Squirt gently the solution into one nostril. You may use the whole cup for the wash, don't be shy! You will feel the liquid going into the inside of your face... it should ideally come out the other nostril by leaning forward... if it goes down your throat you need to lean over and forwards a bit more. Breathe out forcefully, you will get...matter coming out of the nose. Don't blow too hard or it will hurt. Repeat this several times in each nostril. Do the wash two or three times a day. Gradually you will get less gunk coming out and the sinuses will dry and heal.
Try to keep everything very clean and boil the water first always. Wash and clean the bottle after each wash and use new solution each time.

This is also very good when a cold is coming on, as it cleans out the mucus and reduces swelling, with the salt. Your cold will not last long.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2014, 12:33:40 »
You can also get a thing called a neti pot, which is basically like a little teapot for pouring water up your nose. Some people use one every day or a couple of times a week to keep, and it's supposed to be helpful for hay fever. I have not tried it.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2014, 13:40:24 »
Wow! what a difference. A bit of a mission though. Searched around for an implement to do the deed with and could only find the icing sugar gun. I think I might just be in trouble if the Yeti in Pink Knickers found out, so discarded that scheme. I did find a little syringe thing that they use for childrens medicine. So I sterilised that, got in the shower and went to work with a cup full of a sea salt and baking powder concoction.

Snot, grot and Christ knows what, came flooding out. Good job I was in the shower as nasal irrigation and a full beard does not mix too well. Gagging, snorting, coughing and retching my guts out should have alerted the street to what I was doing. But I can now breathe and no rotten smell. Thanks for the info everybody.

PAULW

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2014, 17:55:35 »
Sorry Ace haven't laughed so much since watching Billy Connolly and his prostate on u tube

antipodes

• Hectare
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2014, 13:22:47 »
haven't laughed so much since watching Billy Connolly and his prostate on u tube
Why would you watch Billy Connelly's prostate ???
:-p

Forgot to tell you Ace that it is gross. Yes you can add some baking powder, forgot to say that, it makes it a bit milder on the tissues.  I had this procedure done with a machine when I was pregnant and couldn't take the treatment. My sinuses were so blocked, my face was boiling and I was pitifully trying to blow yellow gunk out my nose all day and night. The dr laid me down with my head hanging of the side of the bed, shoved a tube in each nostril and pumped an antiseptic solution in one side while sucking out the other. Literally two pints of liquid went through the back my face. It was horrible. I Could not believe that so much could come out of your nose. When she finished I could breathe for the first time in three weeks. The relief was incredible. I had it done again and since then every time I have had any type of cold or cough, I wash out my sinuses. I don't know why the drs don't get everyone to do it if they are susceptible to sinus trouble. Squirting decongestants up your nose is a waste of time and money.
Do do the treatment again every day Ace over the next week. As you wash away the gunk, the salt will be able to work on the inflamed sinuses and heal them up. And you will be much more comfortable.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2014, 11:10:25 »
Well would you believe it? Apparently I have a deviated septum. Over 60 years ago I got a toffee apple stick stuck up my nose, (don't ask) I do remember it, rushed to the hospital as it was well and truly jammed. I asked why it has not troubled me before and was told it was most probably the high pollen count that has caused a reaction and the sinus has got infected. More anti biotics for me to take and carry on with the flushing which the doc said is a good treatment. But not the little syringe I was using as it ain't enough. So it is out with the turkey baster for a good blast. When and if it clears up, they might bang it back into shape. The YIPK is as pleased as punch as she was always moaning that I breathed to heavy in my sleep and sounded like a gas leak.

Now looking back I can start accounting for the blinding headaches, summer colds, and strange irritations I always suffered with. So a warning to parents. Don't feed toffee apples to your kids.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2014, 14:14:19 »
When I had a polyp removed from my sinus many many years ago, I remember going to the Hospital afterwards and the Consultant drilling a hole in my sinuses (drill stuffed up nose). He then inserted something shaped like a miniature alpine horn into the hole and pumped saline through it. Had to go in and have that done every week for a few months.
Gardening is the great leveller.

antipodes

• Hectare
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2014, 15:10:00 »
They are very common in some families. My dad had one and was often plagued by nosebleeds because of it. My son too has a very fragile nasal area and had to get a vein cauterised in his nose due to frequent bleeds too. he also suffers a lot from runny noses in the hay fever season.
I wish my brother would get his nose fixed - it was twice broken and now he can hardly breathe through his nose. His snoring is incredible even though he never believes us when we say that.

Obviously it doesn't help when you have a yearning to stuff things up your nose (most kids stop at buttons or pennies... trust Ace to choose a toffee apple !!!!)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2014, 18:53:52 »
I get problems and sometimes it feels as if my head is going to explode, or is somehow not attached to the shoulders.

I certainly would recommend the friars balsam now you are clear it lines the inside of the nose and reduces formation of the nasties.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal