Author Topic: Yellowing Squash Plants  (Read 1556 times)

craggle58

• Not So New ...
Yellowing Squash Plants
« on: June 07, 2014, 17:19:34 »
I planted my squashes (Courgette, Pumpkin and Butternut) out about two weeks ago but the leaves are turning yellow. I have noticed this before straight after planting but they seem to be getting worse. They were hardened off for about ten days prior to planting so they should be recovering from any shock by now. We have had a lot off rain but I thought squashes loved this. I planted them in slightly heaped fashion with a spade of manure in each hole. What does yellowing of the leaves signify?

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: Yellowing Squash Plants
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 19:34:12 »
I'm sure they'll survive. We have had some cold nights this week, so maybe that's it? I noticed for the first time ever mine have been attacked by slugs- shows how many slugs are around this year.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 20:16:51 »
Courgettes and squashes are not very keen on wind even if the temperatures are ok.  They do also like to remain above 8C, so do prefer a little protection on cool nights.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 10:56:04 »
I planted my squashes (Courgette, Pumpkin and Butternut) out about two weeks ago but the leaves are turning yellow. I have noticed this before straight after planting but they seem to be getting worse. They were hardened off for about ten days prior to planting so they should be recovering from any shock by now. We have had a lot off rain but I thought squashes loved this. I planted them in slightly heaped fashion with a spade of manure in each hole. What does yellowing of the leaves signify?

'We have had lot of rain'.....is your answer...though rain is good but when the plants are still young, their water up take is not that great yet and instead of supping it all in..all that wet just washes nutrients from the soil and plants get hungry>>>going pale.
I would give good sprinkle of chicken pellets around the plants...or dare I say...and give some nitrogen rich diluted feed and 'water' it in for quick fix as pellets will take some time to soften and starting to work for the plants. Dose of 'diluted wee' is easiest, cheapest and work wonders for pale buggers... :tongue3: :icon_cheers:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal