Author Topic: Parsnip seed  (Read 1636 times)

AlanP

• Half Acre
  • Willy Nelson
    • http://www.freewebs.com/alanparkin/index.htm
Parsnip seed
« on: June 04, 2014, 22:02:52 »
I missed digging up a Parsnip last year, it is now in full flower and looks quite nice, I was thinking of saving the seed for next year. Has anyone done this with Parsnips, do you think they will germinate.

Alan
Just one more polytunnel, just one more chicken coop.
Just one more allotment.

small

• Hectare
Re: Parsnip seed
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 10:19:38 »
I always leave a parsnip in for this very reason. It does seem to take ages for the seed to ripen, but you get so many, and in my experience germination the following spring is excellent. You are certain that your seed is fresh which may not always be the case with bought seed.

AlanP

• Half Acre
  • Willy Nelson
    • http://www.freewebs.com/alanparkin/index.htm
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 13:30:58 »
Thanks small   (what a nice name  :icon_scratch: ) so how do you know when they are ripe, do you put a brown paper bag over them to collect the seed, or what?  I  :icon_salut: your knowledge

Alan
Just one more polytunnel, just one more chicken coop.
Just one more allotment.

Ian Pearson

• Acre
    • Growing Oca
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 16:35:04 »
Wait for the seed to turn brown. They may need to be staked if you are in a windy area. The primary seed head ripens first and tends to have the largest, strongest seeds. Snip off ripe heads and place in a paper carrier bag hanging in the greenhouse to dry/fully ripen. Then it's easy to dislodge the seeds and winnow them to get rid of dust etc.
Note, strictly speaking you should have several plants seeding to keep the variety true and healthy (to avoid 'inbreeding depression') so I'd avoid saving again next year from the second generation. Also, if you are saving from an F1 variety as opposed to open pollinated, you may get variable results - but they'll still be parsnips! :-)

small

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 08:57:38 »
That's interesting about 'inbreeding depression', not an expression I've come across - I didn't think my parsnips were as good as usual last year so maybe I've overdone it - time to invest in a new packet perhaps. That's how I collect my seeds as well, by the way.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal