Author Topic: I PUT MY PEONIES ON A LAST WARNING ......  (Read 2194 times)

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
I PUT MY PEONIES ON A LAST WARNING ......
« on: April 30, 2014, 10:19:15 »
because they haven't flowered for three years :BangHead:  I was looking out of the window this morning and to my amazement I saw this......FLOWER BUDS!! :blob7:

duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
Re: I PUT MY PEONIES ON A LAST WARNING ......
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 10:59:46 »
I have heard it said thet peonies don't like moving and fail to flower for a while after a move. May be this is the case. Mine too are in full bud waiting to flower. Such a pity the beautiful flower is short lived when it appears.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 12:47:30 »
Main reasons for them not flowering are : planted too deeply. the buds need frost to turn them from leaf buds to flowering ones :hunger. They are gross feeders. :Too young. The do need to be mature to flower. :Lack of Sun. They do prefer a sunny position.
Gardening is the great leveller.

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 09:45:00 »
They will come up with any reason not to flower, but when they do, albeit fleetingly, they make up for it.  I planted one about 5 years ago, first 2 years nothing, third year 1 flower, last year 10, this year there are about 50 fat buds.
Best laid plans and all that

tilts

• Acre
  • Boom Boom boom Boom Esso blue!
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 09:42:18 »
We moved house a couple of years ago and I brought my Uncles yellow, my grandads red and a tree peonii with us, They have flowered every year, knowing they don't like moving we couldn't believe it!
Tread softly or you'll tread on my dreams.....Yeats

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 07:58:14 »
We discovered a small peony in a flower bed here when we moved in ....it didnt flower , in fact it didn,t grow any bigger for six years ...so I dug it out and put it in a large tub with lots of nice new compost mixed with some of our garden soil and low and behold it has tripled in size over winter and got a bud on it !  I think they are hungry feeders . I will plant mine out again into a sunnier position than before , in the autumn .
 I cant wait to see what colour the flower is ! I,ve always admired them in other peoples gardens , they are so glamorous looking  . Debs   :coffee2:
Trespassers will be composted !

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2014, 22:39:52 »
I found a 'clutch' in my new garden and separated and replanted them this spring. All are looking healthy with a few in bud.
Smile, it confuses people.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal