Author Topic: Damage on the allotment by youngsters  (Read 2237 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Damage on the allotment by youngsters
« on: May 29, 2014, 22:41:49 »
One of the allotments had damage done by youngsters.  A wooden seat was smashed, tools thrown over the allotment, plants damaged, and padlock broken on storage box.  The police couldn't prove that it was the boys that were outside the allotment when they came, as they said they were just waiting for friends. Hopefully the police talking to them may deter them, but who knows.  I suppose it is half term and the weather has not been good, so not many people at the allotments at night, so they decide to go and smash a few things up.

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
Re: Damage on the allotment by youngsters
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 08:11:33 »
It's so annoying when that happens. My site has had several such instances already this year with wanton damage and attempts to break into the chicken runs as well as sheds.
Sadly it's just mindless vandalism which the police are unable to do much about.
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

Paul.and.Lynda

• Not So New ...
    • Growing Stuff in Widnes
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 08:16:27 »
Unfortunately our allotment site has recently had sheds broken into. Ours was a Kettler plastic one that had the plastic hasp burnt off.
The police have been informed off this and another plot holder had a hole burnt into his shed.
Nothing was taken from either shed, we only keep cheap tools in there.

Just put up a new wooden shed and hopefully there will not be any more incidents

Paul  :coffee2:

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 08:35:49 »
This sort of thing is very annoying.  We had incidents a while back, water butts tipped over, things thrown through netting.  Plants knocked over.  Jam on the car windscreen.

Seems to go in phases.  They seem to grow up and get motorbikes and luckily lose interest in wrecking things.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 14:35:52 »
We have locked gates etc, but last year we had sheds firebombed. Some people said it was revenge as the assoc complained to the police about trailbikes and quads being (illegally) ridden through the adjoining park (I imagine that the neighbouring houses have probably complained a fair few times too!). I think that some people are just d***heads and there is not much you can do about it.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal