Author Topic: venting and my new greenhouse  (Read 3693 times)

jowlersnr

• Not So New ...
venting and my new greenhouse
« on: May 28, 2014, 07:38:09 »
Just retired thru ill health and wanted some advice.

Hi, my 1st post so be gentle... :wave:

I am looking at buying a 6x8 ghouse. .. this one.... http://www.greenhousesdirect.co.uk/Greenhouses/Halls/Supreme%206ft/6x8/

Don't know if that is a good price or good product, but the plan was to get that with 2 louvre vents with automatic openers. I don't know if that is sufficient or what would be? - the ghouse will be pretty close to the house so I could easily open the main door on very hot days.

Any advice on my choice welcome.... note I want a smartish ghouse as I can see it from the house.... & I am pretty useless at DIY.

Thanks
Laters,
Steve

pumkinlover

Re: venting and my new greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 08:24:32 »
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Opening roof lights allow the hot air to escape so are useful.
We add extra diagonal bracing to our greenhouses because not enough is ever supplied with them.
I'm not sure about the shaped roof, it looks lovely but is it curved  glass? if so could replacements easily be obtained locally and if so how much to replace?
Sorry if sound negative, and I hope that your ill health allows you some happy gardening :happy7:

Redalder

• Half Acre
  • East Cornwall, mostly clay and stones.
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 08:49:00 »
I would suggest an automatic roof vent with an automatic louvre if the curved shape will take an opener rather than two louvre vents as you would then get a through flow of air.  I  have  a 10x8 with two auto roof and a non auto louvre  which I leave open  and let the roof vents take care of the rest and this seems to work fine.

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 09:13:38 »
Yup - I agree. You must have opening on top and I then leave my door open a bit or full depending on the weather.. It still gets mighty hot and heat can kill the plants..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

jowlersnr

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 09:50:39 »
Thanks, just found this in the specs...
Features -
3mm overlapping horticultural glass
Stainless steel glass clips
Plain aluminium frame
Single sliding door (2' nom. doorway)
One single roof vent (4sq ft total)
Curved eaves glazed with perspex sheet <<<< so the curved bit is perspex.

So you guys recon I just need to automate that vent (in bold) and get a non-auto louvre, which I can leave open yes?

I read somewhere that its an idea to stick in the panes with RTV silicone, just at the corners, that ok too?
Laters,
Steve

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 17:27:13 »
Yep!!   

But I'd rather get a greenhouse for free from freecycle..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 19:14:27 »
My vote is the Popular on a base with one automatic roof opener and horticultural glass.

If in the future you find that you need more ventilation it is not difficult to remove one pane of glass and fit another wall or roof opener, with or without an automatic vent.

I have louvred vents which I never use.

A lot depends how you are going to use it and if you are around to open the door as Gavin suggests.

If you are going to leave the greenhouse unattended for many days during the summer then there may be more of a call for more automatic ventilation.

To sum up go basic then add on if and when required.

I have a sheet of 'fly mesh' the same size as a pane of glass so I remove a pane of glass and fix the fly mesh in the summer then change it back when the weather cools down.

I would most certainly keep away from the curved glass and polycarbonate!

Now you have another alternative to think about!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 19:32:42 »
Got that a bit wrong I meant fine mesh (¼") not fly mesh.

Don't know if you can still get fly mesh although I used to have a piece that I used for the same purpose!

Sorry about that...Tg

jowlersnr

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 14:33:24 »
Alright thanks again - took on board all you guys combined advice and ordered a normal 6x8 ghouse, this one has extra struts too. :happy7:

http://www.elite-greenhouses.co.uk/our-products/greenhouses/6-wide-greenhouses/6-3-wide-high-eave.html

These auto-vents then - how do they work are they solar powered or something.... I haven't ordered an auto-vent yet, seeing as they were cheaper on ebay. .... I will not be getting one if I have to get gas refills or they are unreliable.

(I told you I was clueless lol)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 14:35:50 by jowlersnr »
Laters,
Steve

Redalder

• Half Acre
  • East Cornwall, mostly clay and stones.
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 14:59:07 »

They have a piston attached to the opener which is moved by the change in temperature - no gas or any maintenance once you have adjusted it by screwing in in or out to get it opening how you want it. Some ( maybe all) have a restriction you can set to stop it opening  further than you need.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 15:01:14 by redalder »

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 15:13:24 »
This is a typical roof vent

electron

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 00:08:57 »

They have a piston attached to the opener which is moved by the change in temperature - no gas or any maintenance once you have adjusted it by screwing in in or out to get it opening how you want it. Some ( maybe all) have a restriction you can set to stop it opening  further than you need.

Work on a wax cartridge, similar to a car radiator thermostat.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal