Author Topic: Shake your Moneymaker  (Read 4134 times)

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
Shake your Moneymaker
« on: March 18, 2005, 11:31:39 »
OK, so I have 2 books on growing vegetables.  They are the Vegetable & Herb Expert (Dr D G Hessayon) and an organic-approach one my mum bought me for xmas by a Matthew Biggs.  They're both useful books but contradict each other in places!  Hessayon is none too complimentary about the taste of Moneymaker (tom), but raves about Gardener's Delight.  Biggs on the other hand, seems to like Moneymaker, quote "The succulent scarlet fruits are full of flavour".

Any opinions on which author is right?  :)

I'm growing both, so its neither here nor there - I shall put them to the taste test eventually.   ;D  Just wondered what the "panel" thinks of these contradictory write-ups!?
Interests: Vegetables, Annuals & Songwriting.  Click here to listen to Charlie's songs.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Shake your Moneymaker
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 11:41:19 »
This bit of the panel would say that GD wins, hands down!!

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 11:46:33 »
.......... and I say beauty is in the eye of the beholder or rather, taste is in the mouth of the eater.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 12:02:13 »
quel bon mot!

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 12:12:59 »
Oh Tim what's that in english, he's always the gent.
Have to agree with Ina in my case I love growing toms try different ones never failed with MM.
But I do think its is how they are feed that improves the taste me its fish poo water when filters are rinsed out I collect and diluite it the toms love it.
What do you use Tim and Ina?

ALAN HOWELL

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2005, 12:26:22 »
I feel that the taste of toms is a personal thing achieved thru a few years of experimenting with different varieties.I have settled on Alicante for my main crop cordons, and Tumbler for an Early fruiting cherry(early July,unheated g/house).With all the stuff I grow for the lottie,I find the g/house space limited for continually trying new varieties of toms ::).......Alan

I GOT A LOTTA LOTTIE

Granny_Smith

• Half Acre
  • Of course its me - who else could look like this ?
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2005, 12:41:07 »
Very disappointed with the taste of Moneymaker last year, so trying something else this year.
Granny is still your best friend !

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2005, 12:45:48 »
Isn't Moneymaker a good cooking tomato?  Good for sauces rather than eating?

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2005, 13:20:40 »
Something even better - don't know the variety, but we had our first EVESHAM toms today.

Blindfold, you could smell that they were toms. Try that with the imported stuff??

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2005, 13:22:13 »
have used MM for eating and cooking.
But this year trying Roma a plum tom which are better for sauses just hope I can grow ( or buy ) some basil ha ha

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2005, 13:59:09 »
Basil grows itself!

SpeedyMango

• Acre
    • Plot Blog
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2005, 14:00:39 »
Basil grows itself!

Not in my hands it doesn't. Can't get the darned stuff to stay alive.

I'm growing both Moneymaker and Gardener's Delight this year too, so will be able to compare and contrast.

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2005, 17:37:18 »
quel bon mot!

Thank you Tim, hehehe.

As for Teresa's question, all I do is give tomato food once a week.

What kind of tomatoes I like to grow, my choice is down to one.
Due to blight attacks every year, I now only grow Ferline blight resistant tomatoes. Not immune mind you, they still get it but it's controlable. What joy to harvest sun ripe tomatoes and what sorrow in the past to lose all my plants in a matter of a week when the blight hits. Ferline are also very tasty.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2005, 18:04:32 »
I don't find basil easy either.  It germinates ok but it takes an age to develop any size as I have to grow it indoors on my windowsill which doesn't get too much light.  I feed it but it seems to take forever before I get any number of usuable leaves.  I can't grow it outside in the open as it dessicates and disappears

I think my problems are now over.  I've invested in a grow house.  I did try and take a photo but it was too dark even with the camera set to night. 

I'll take a photo tomorrow when I've filled it up with seedlings.  Can't wait.  I'm so excited. ;D

Wardy
I came, I saw, I composted

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2005, 18:17:02 »
My basil either grows like a triffid, or struggles and eventually gives up the ghost.  Have one pot just germinated with about 6 seedlings...will sow more tonite.

I have Roma also Teresa, good for sauces huh, that is what I like to hear.  I think I prefer plums to normals  :o

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2005, 18:36:26 »
All the children go for the mini plums like Santa.

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2005, 19:27:52 »
I'm also growing Roma this year for the first time. I chose it because the catalogue said it was good for sauces, hope they're right. Also on the list is Outdoor Girl, Golden Sunrise and St Pierre, all new to me. And the good old Gardeners Delight, easy to grow and tasty.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Shoyu

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2005, 00:44:27 »
I have MM seedling trying to take over the house and basil seedlings just becoming established (seeds were past their bbd so we'll see what happens). Hopefully some yummy tomato salads this year - pity we can't grow olives......

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2005, 12:02:48 »
Interesting to read your responses!  No consensus from the "panel" then? LOL.  Quelle surprise, I might add, if we are to continue with the French motif.

And a discussion on basil to boot! 
Interests: Vegetables, Annuals & Songwriting.  Click here to listen to Charlie's songs.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2005, 14:01:15 »
Charlotte,I will send you toms to inspire your songwriting,I will go on bended knees and plead-Money Maker is crap.

Stephan ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal