Author Topic: Re information on protecting an orchard  (Read 1503 times)

paul1956

Re information on protecting an orchard
« on: May 01, 2014, 11:37:34 »
Hi all i am new to this site and would like some information please, i have an allotment and have created an orchard on the plot i have approx 30 fruit trees apples pears plums cherries damsons peach apricots kiwi and a few more what is worrying me if i have to give the plot up due to my health i know it will be striped as soon as my back is turned it attracts all the bees birds and a lot more wild life i also grow the normal veg as well but i am intrested in trying to protect the orchard it self because as time goes on it will mature and get better and would be a shame if it was lost, we do have have school parties coming on site in the good weather and the really do enjoy seeing the trees in all there glory hope somebody can help  :glasses9:  :sunny:  :coffee2:

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Re information on protecting an orchard
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 13:15:26 »
I know how you feel and what you do try to achieve....but I'm doubtful that you are able to do anything about it if/when time comes to giving it up.
Is your site council or privately own? Depending how plots are passed on to new gardeners, if you have any influence with those who decide 'who gets what'..you might be in luck. Perhaps your orchard can be paired with new allotmenteer who would prefer lots of fruit trees rather than more of veg growing space?
Some sites may have 'community' orchards...find out if there would be interest for one of those..maybe as 'get together' lunch/refreshments area..particularly useful as you have school parties coming around too.

digmore

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 19:50:00 »
Wasn't their someone on the south coast ruined an allotment plot by planting tree's all over it and called it an orchard. He and the council went to court over it and the council won.

Can not understand why one would want to ruin good growing land by planting tree's all over it. Tree's are fine, but you have to look after the land not just for landlord's sake but for the following tenant.

Allotment's where hard come by historically, and are struggling to survive now, why give the detractors the opportunity to take that all away by ill judged idea's.

If someone wants to plant an orchard let them buy their own land and plant tree's on that.

Digmore.  :wave:

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 10:07:29 »
That's rather a harsh comment Digmore! Having said that, most allotments have rules about fruit trees. On our site, there are a few fig trees, and a couple of plums but large trees are prohibited.

If you plant something on rented land, I am afraid that you take the risk of the next tenant doing away with what you have done. But getting rid of a load of mature trees is a lot of work, they may not bother.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal