Author Topic: Asparagus, the last chance!  (Read 1564 times)

Galette

• Quarter Acre
Asparagus, the last chance!
« on: May 29, 2014, 09:48:22 »
Four years ago we dedicated a raised bed to growing asparagus.  Did lots of research, purchased plants, planted them and followed all the rules for weeding, watering and feeding.  Sadly, they have not performed and we have decided to get rid of them.  A friend has expressed an interest in taking on these plants, so before chucking them on the compost heap we wondered if anyone has ever transplanted the plants/roots?  If so, when would be the best time of year to do so?

small

• Hectare
Re: Asparagus, the last chance!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 10:22:46 »
I moved my 4-year old asparagus from one side of my garden to the other. That was 26 years ago and they are still going strong - so the short answer is, yes they are easily moved so long as care is taken to replant them properly and carefully and give them a season to recover. But the question remains, what you mean by them not performing......just not as many spears as you'd like, or not as thick, or are they moribund? Do you have asparagus beetle problems? In the timescale of asparagus, it seems that 4 years is a little short to pull the plug on them....

GREGME

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 10:47:46 »
Not sure - I really struggle with couch grass invading and re-invading my bed from the path continuously and asparagus beetle this year but it still it seems worthwhile. Some of the more modern hybrids are arguably more productive though trouble with my bed is that i really dont know what variety I have as it is over 20 years old.

Galette

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 20:57:31 »
Thanks for the replies.  I think I will dig up the roots in the autumn and overwinter them like dahlia tubers then pass them on so our friend can plant them out early spring.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal