Author Topic: At last  (Read 4328 times)

david.oconnor.1253

At last
« on: May 01, 2014, 21:27:49 »
after 7 years we have finally got some growing plots  only 9mx5m  provided by the council £15 for the first year and £25 /year after that there is no water on the site we need to put IBC'S on the site the council will fill them the first time an then it is up to us. does anyone know of any funding out there that can help to get a water main on the site as it is only 8 plots big and we are wondering how much it will cost. thanks in advance

strawberry1

• Hectare
Re: At last
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 06:06:08 »
we collect water in water butts, easy and effective and you can easily link butts to have more than one. Mains water is not needed and would cost a fortune, not worth it

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 08:07:58 »
We are old site and we don't have water neither.. apart some plots have odd wells that some past member have dug out.
Generally everybody has loads of water buts or other big containers and are able to harvest what they need. It would have to be very dry year indeed to struggle with what they have.
Odd newer member have asked if we could get running water supplies...but most people don't want it. I would mean that the site would be in water company's beg and call and we would have to part with our money. We want to be able to do our garden 'cheap' or use the money for other supplies. :happy7:
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 08:12:32 by goodlife »

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 08:17:05 »
Congrats on getting your plot - have fun.
Getting a mains supply in can be really expensive - trenches must be dug to certain depth and pipes laid.  It will cost hundreds of pounds if not four figures.  t wouldn't cost anything to get a quote but for such a small site the amount per plotholder is going to be a bit much I think..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

david.oconnor.1253

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 16:34:47 »
thanks everyone that advice was really helpful especially cost I didnt think it would be that much

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 18:26:19 »
Our water bill has about doubled in the past twelve months. We are hoping to take over the lease from the council for our plots, as this is the only way we can get grants I think there is an Allotment Regeneration Initiative ! Are you a member  of any National societies ? Useful for insurances and seed schemes.

david.oconnor.1253

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 18:31:57 »
thanks not members of anything yet but we are looking into it as its such a small site and we are all beginners the insurance is definitely worth a look

juju

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 12:44:55 »
I am plot steward at Rosamond allotments. We have 95 plots all now in pretty good shape. only one and a half plots vacant. We have a Management committee and a site com. Our water bill has now greatly reduced since we fund raised for water troughs with ball thingy. It works !!!!!!!!!! no more some people leaving tapes on all night. 11 troughs in all at a cost of £1800. It was worth it.
philsallotment.blogspot.co.uk
philscakes.co.uk.
Rosamond allotment site Leicestershire
A friend in need is a friend indeed

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 13:30:25 »
Congratulations on getting a plot, but 9x5 is very small compared to a traditional allotment of 253 sq metres though most people on our site have half.

£25 for 45 sq mts is pretty pricey especially without water.   I make that to be £140 for a normal allotment.  I am on a private site and we pay £95 to include water.  I think it is £50 for a half.   We mostly has butts with ball things too.

You will need to be very canny to make the best use of the space.  I recommend growing things as tall as possible.

Sounds as if you will have to you a lot of mulching to conserve water.

How far is the water table?  Can you dig a well?

juju

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 21:47:43 »
I doubt very much you will get funding for just 8 plots you can but try. The cost of putting a main pipe will cost your allotment members the earth. If there are more than 50 good size plots you may stand a chance. Why don't you write to the water authority in your area and ask them. We have a meter at our water point so all our members are ask to have water butts to collect rain water. we only pay £5 per year for water.I have 11 water butts some of our members have at least 4-5 butts. With water troughs it has become much easier to stop the waste. I never use allotment water only collected rain water. We also use weed membrane for brassicas, sweetcorn, beans, leeks and courgetts. weedmembrane does keep the ground moist and don't need to water the plants too often.

hope you will get help to get a water main to your allotment soon. Good luck
philsallotment.blogspot.co.uk
philscakes.co.uk.
Rosamond allotment site Leicestershire
A friend in need is a friend indeed

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal