Author Topic: My new girls and no doubt some boys too..  (Read 12625 times)

goodlife

• Hectare
My new girls and no doubt some boys too..
« on: May 01, 2014, 06:28:31 »
Broody is on loan but the little ones are for me. They are now about week old :toothy10:
I've already picked my favourite...had instant love in first sight with the beige one...it HAVE TO be a girl!

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: My new girls and no doubt some boys too..
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 06:29:38 »
'the beige one'...

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 07:37:31 »
Ahhh, they are gorgeous  :drunken_smilie:
Hope you have lots of girls  :icon_cheers:
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 09:23:27 »
Very cute indeed. How many are you hoping for?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 11:08:03 »
If I could get 4-6 pullets out of those, that would be very nice indeed...but we'll see. It is not end of world if not....I can always introduce some more into flock later on. There is more in incubator where they came from  :toothy10:

Yesterday I left them to be in peace..just popped my head through the door couple of times to check that they've settled ok and everything is as it should...oh, part from couple of photo's of course.
Today I've been shopping for some meal worms and there is already VERY excited chirping going on..they are in 'day 1' with 'goodlife treament'= read; 'how to make BIG and STRONG super chooks'  :icon_cheers: :angel11: 

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 14:18:13 »
They are lovely!  How good are you at dowsing?  Said to be quite successful at chick sexing.  The broodie looks a very pretty hen, how long is she on loan for?

pumkinlover

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 16:06:39 »
Fingers crossed - the broody is lovely.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 16:28:02 »
They are lovely!  How good are you at dowsing?  Said to be quite successful at chick sexing.  The broodie looks a very pretty hen, how long is she on loan for?

Now that is something I haven't tried...hmmm...

I will keep the broody on the job until she has had enough of the chicks and she want more of 'her time' apart from the little ones..few weeks I think. I can't quite remember how long I had broody last time..it has been some time since I've had chicks.  At 8 weeks they are already out and about and fully independent...I remember that well as I once bought pullets in that age..it took some 'hunting' them down from big field where they were running around...fun that I wont forget in a hurry :toothy10:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 17:15:50 »
................  and you are going to do it all over again  :tongue3:    :toothy10:

Only 8 weeks?  that's not long.  How long until you get your first eggs?

Oh, I like the black one with the white front best.  Hope not too many boys. 

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 18:08:42 »
................  and you are going to do it all over again  :tongue3:    :toothy10:

Only 8 weeks?  that's not long.  How long until you get your first eggs?

Oh, I like the black one with the white front best.  Hope not too many boys.

No it is not long. I don't do any more chicks after these..my friend who supplied the broody for loan and the chicks has some more eggs in incubator now. So what ever he 'propagate' , I'll be able choose more from his lot if needed...and when there is only few weeks age difference between these and his, adding into flock later on is not that big issue.
The point of lay with these is in about 18-20 weeks..so if the weather is on their side they might pop few eggs out this year. There is possibility that they miss the first season altogether and wait until late winter/early spring. I've had first timers laying odd egg in winter too...sometimes they just cannot help themselves as their 'hormones' are all over the place...teenagers... :tongue3:
I'm not really expecting any eggs this year...to grow them into big healthy girls is the main thing and anything after that is bonus.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2014, 18:10:55 »
Code: [Select]
dowsing?  Said to be quite successful at chick sexing.
Might come useful advise for some blokes.. :icon_cheers: :laughing7:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2014, 18:36:31 »
dowsing?  Said to be quite successful at chick sexing.
Might come useful advise for some blokes.. :icon_cheers: :laughing7:

You crack me up!  :happy7:   :wave:

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2014, 01:55:28 »
What are you going to do with the cockerels, Goodlife? 

I have 7 hens and 5 cockerels.  I know I will have to take some of the boys to market eventually, but then I am always worried that they may be bought by someone who wants them for fighting. 

I have two dominant cockerels and they are kept in separate runs.  One has 3 younger cockerels and 5 hens with him.  The other cockerel has two hens for company.  He is my favourite and is very friendly.  I won't send him off to market but will keep him as a pet.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2014, 08:55:33 »
My friend who's broody I'm using is 'dealing' with my unwanted birds. He either use them to feed his ferrets or they will go for his friend who time to time takes quantity of young 'chaps', fatten them up and they will end up as table birds.
Nothing is wasted and all birds are looked after appropriately while they are alive.
I have 'physical' block built in against killing creatures..just can't do it, but I'm ok dealing with once somebody has done the actual 'deed'...nor could I eat 'my own'..must be pretty desperate if I could.

My girls are for entertainment, eggs and poo  :icon_cheers:

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2014, 13:35:03 »
We used to use the wedding ring on a chain trick to sex pregnancies at work  would be the 1970s, it was never wrong.   Now they have taken all the fun out of it with scans etc. 

Does it work for chooks?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2014, 15:27:41 »
We used to use the wedding ring on a chain trick to sex pregnancies at work  would be the 1970s, it was never wrong.   Now they have taken all the fun out of it with scans etc. 

Does it work for chooks?

Lol..never tried that..perhaps I should.. :drunken_smilie:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2014, 20:35:56 »

Does it work for chooks?

It works for anything.  However - my friend lost her purse with all her cards.  I dowsed for it and got 'car'.  She turned her car inside out, found nothing,  and ended up cancelling her cards.  Couple of days later she found her purse in her daughters toy car!!!

So when dowsing for chicks - yes DO make sure you mentally specify animal chicks clearly.   :wave:

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2014, 08:14:59 »

Does it work for chooks?

It works for anything.  However - my friend lost her purse with all her cards.  I dowsed for it and got 'car'.  She turned her car inside out, found nothing,  and ended up cancelling her cards.  Couple of days later she found her purse in her daughters toy car!!!

So when dowsing for chicks - yes DO make sure you mentally specify animal chicks clearly.   :wave:

So how would that work? ...dowsing stick up, a boy?  :tongue3:
Or is it just about yes/no answers?

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2014, 08:53:17 »

Does it work for chooks?

So how would that work? ...dowsing stick up, a boy?  :tongue3:
Or is it just about yes/no answers?

Pendulum (can be as simple as a pebble tied to a bit of string).  Empty your mind apart from the thought 'female chicken', then hold the pendulum over the broody hen (who is definitely female) and see what it does.  Whether it goes round in circles or swings from side to side for 'female'. Every dowser is different.  You should then get the same pendulum action over a female chick and a different one for male.   We all (apparently) have this as a latent sense and dowsing rods or pendulums work a bit like an antenna which amplifies this sense.  But because we did not need to dowse in our daily lives, this sense is almost non existent in some of us.  Native Australians are very good at it, because for them finding a water hole by dowsing is a matter of life and death in the barren outback.

It is not for everybody and it is harder to dowse some days than others.  Agree with Digeroo that it worked fine for all my pregnant friends too.  If you fancy, you could try it just for a bit of fun and see whether you get better than a fifty percent chance agreement.

How to discretely dowse for 'girl or boy' on a person you've just met on a night out, I really don't know  :tongue3:

How are the chicks today?  How big are they now?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2014, 09:33:38 »
How are the chicks today?  How big are they now?They are not that much bigger as for the size...just that their baby fluff is started to change into first proper feathers on wings and on tail...this should be one identification feature as girls are said to develop those little bit earlier than boys. Saying that, they all are pretty much in same stage..just that few are that tiny bit ganglier than others.

We are down to 7 chicks now...lost one sometimes yesterday..could have been during previous night as I didn't notice the little white one against clean pale wood shavings in a corner until afternoon. I had good look at 'her' and couldn't see nothing wrong as such. I suspect she just had got crushed..probably during night and it was the cold one...they all try to get the best place under broody and huddle so tight together. It just one of those things...others looks chirpy and healthy so I'm not concern it is health issue...accidents do happen even for the best of the broodies.

I really like to have a go with dowsing..or ring thing...it just depends of the 'mother' how close she is allowing me to get to her...broodies can be fierce when they protecting the young ones...I would not dream to try to pick on without reason...I've been that route before.  Though she didn't object when I went to pick the dead one...she knew what I was doing..

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal