Author Topic: going yellow!  (Read 1636 times)

claybasket

• Hectare
going yellow!
« on: May 05, 2014, 19:18:11 »
Hi all ,can anyone tell me why my hydrangea has gone yellow I did plant it from it's pot in to clay soil, and my clematis is the same but has been in the same spot for 4yrs ,I gave them a hand full of chicken manure to see if it helped! help please!

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: going yellow!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 09:11:14 »
Have they 'gone yellow' as of 'all over', just partially, are the leaves drooping?
Is there possibility that somebody would have been around with weedkiller or some other sort of chemical?
When did you plant your hydrangea? Any chance of broken water, sewage pipe nearby..over flowing container/gutter?

As you can see from questions..they are suggesting many possible causes..and there is many more that I haven't asked about.
How did you prepare the ground when you planted them?
We really need to know more of what the plants look like or where they are...photos?

If  the lack of nitrogen is culprit..and we've had wet winter, so it is possible..chicken pellets would have some effect. Were the leaves yellow when they emerged or have they changed colour later on?

You could try general liquid feed too...watering can full of 'miracle grow' type of feed would soon have effect if the problem is nutrients based. Should this remedy the situation...you would feed the plants more and general TLC would not hurt..mulches etc.

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 09:42:25 »
I would go for a foliar feed with a Tomato feed that contains Magnesium or some Epsom salts.  Different types of Hydrangea act differently to my heavy (and wet) clay, some love it, some loathe it.  Those that loathe it quickly perk back up when they are potted back up.
Best laid plans and all that

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 09:57:36 »
I wonder if it is something to do with Hydrangeas being ericaceous?   You can acidifiy the soil by giving it a light dressing of sulphur and perhaps give it a belt of ericaceous plant food to help it recover..

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 11:49:17 »
thanks for all the replies I will try to send a photo to you via my oh as am hopeless,  I mixed compost in to the hole I'd dug and around it, the soil was never dug before it was a new bed we made beside our shed grass grow there before, the plant was dark green when it went in the hole, but it started to yellow almost right away there was no dropping it looks healthy and has flower buds but I have a cutting, from before it was planted, it is dark green ! I will try the miracle grow, and get some Epsom salts, if it doesn't help then I'll put it back in a pot and hope it will get better Boo Hoo .

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal