Author Topic: A4A get-together 2014  (Read 32131 times)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: A4A get-together 2014
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2014, 22:13:25 »
I'll bring curried eggs.  Pauline mentioned Greek Salad.  Bean salad would go very well.  Yum  :icon_cheers:

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2014, 22:28:34 »
I have no idea what to bring :) sounds like cakes are sorted thanks to silverleaf

There will be me, Hubbie Paul and Harriet of course who is very keen on looking at the gardens.

What would you like me to bring?? Husband has perfected a killer bean salad recipe which we can bring along with a loaf of parmagan and sundried tomato bread?

Bean salad sounds very nice Cam,
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2014, 23:20:31 »
Yum!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2014, 15:06:17 »
Glad to hear that Chriscross might be coming and that Melbourne and Mrs M are definite. 
Really sorry though that Goodlife and Caroline might not come but I do understand their
reasons.  We'll just hope for the best that they can come.

I will be at the gate from 12:15 to meet you but please don't be offended if I don't
recognize some of you!  My memory for faces is awful and I can't even blame it on
old age because I've always been like that.

I'll have the kettle on for when you arrive and then we can decide what to do - either
have something to eat first, or a walk around the allotments or just sit and chat.

I will have some plants for swapping, not sure what just yet because I've been away from
home for a few days but hopefully they have survived being looked after by my husband.

I'll make a cake, and I think someone has mentioned lemon drizzle cake - I LOVE LEMON
DRIZZLE CAKE - but I can't make it!

If anyone would like my mobile number pleas pm me.

So this is the up to date list:-

Digeroo
Pauline and John
Pumpkinlover
?  Goodlife
Silverleaf
Cambourne
Ellen K
Galina
? Caroline
Lottie Lou
Chriscross (hopefully)
Melbourne12 and Mrs M
Betty

Ok... as it stands now, we are not coming, our promised doggie has had her operation and recovering well, she should be ok for new home soon. So...sorry girls.....I know you were relying having lift from us to the meeting.
I was truly looking forward to the Saturday date...I do now too but different reasons...

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2014, 20:04:30 »
I am sorry you won't be there Goodlife but wish you well with your new dog.

I hope the others that were coming with you will still be able to make it. 

I have more than enough disposable plates to bring with me but haven't any cutlery apart from the few bits we have in the caravan.  I looked in Sainsbury today to see if they sold any plastic knives, forks and spoons but they didn't have any.  I can't remember what we did last year.  Maybe we all brought our own!

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2014, 16:19:10 »
I was thinking, if anyone wants to ask me genetics questions, I'll be happy to answer them if I can! Pea genetics is my area really but I can help with basic generic stuff as well.

I might have a few seeds to swap, but only a few. Also got a few baby aloe vera plants I can pot up if anyone would like one...

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2014, 17:32:24 »
Silverleaf, you have a message!

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2014, 17:44:53 »
Hi, I tried to reply but apparently your inbox is full!

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2014, 18:10:49 »
Hi, I tried to reply but apparently your inbox is full!

I've pruned it drastically, so now all should be well.  :happy7:

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2014, 20:00:43 »
RIght... whilst I've not won the auction of stuff in Brum, I'm now a defnite yes, getting a lift off Digeroo if she's coming and if not I shall caatch a train/coach

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #70 on: July 16, 2014, 17:10:08 »
husband is keen on making sausage rolls but a lot will depend on Friday as new fridge freezer is due to be delivered and were trying to keep food in house to the minimum.

I think i have some plastic cutlery in a box somewhere will confirm friday :)

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2014, 19:12:47 »
Well, we are up in the area already.  We had a trip to Birmingham Botanical Gardens today.  It has a lot of potential but we felt it had seen better days!  A lot of the beds were really scruffy.  There were notices about saying that improvements were being made but the notices looked about ten years old.

The rose garden was a disappointment.  There was no attempt at making it flow.  If I was in charge there I would sell all those awful sculptures and use the money to buy some trellises, pergolas and arches.  I would put in some structures for climbers such as clematis, to entwine their way around.  At the moment, each bed has about 20 roses in it, all the same colour and type (probably hybrid Tea) and about 6ft apart.  There was little variation of colour, no variety of styles and no perfume filling the air.  When I saw the sign to the rose garden, I was expecting to see something like the one at Mottisfont near Romsey in Hampshire.

One of the best things about our visit was just how friendly the other people visiting the gardens were. They were chatty and very pleasant.  The cafeteria staff were very friendly too and I thoroughly enjoyed their lemon drizzle cake and medium cappuccino which came in a ginormous cup! 

See you on Saturday folks!

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2014, 19:27:03 »
I can recommend the david austin gardens for a visit but book ahead for the cream tea :)

http://www.davidaustinroses.co.uk/english/Advanced.asp?PageId=1912

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2014, 20:08:53 »
Now don't tempt me, Cam.  The one on David Austin's website is what a rose garden should look like.  We intended a day out to Bridgnorth whilst in the area so may have to think about going to Albrighton now. 

I have already broken my promise to John not to buy any more plants until I have planted all those still in pots at home.  Today I bought two scabiosa (one white and one blue), a perennial cornflower and a beautiful blue penstemon.  Yesterday I bought a white pink.  Now I have planted all my vegetables, I can start on my new garden at the back of the summerhouse when we get home.  It will be full of white, blue and yellow flowers, have paving stones and shingle, a wooden bench against the summerhouse and hopefully, a three tiered water feature in the middle which my family may club together and buy me for my 70th next month.   

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2014, 21:06:55 »
Sounds like you need to buy him a cream tea to make it up to him hehe

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/04/75/56/c8/david-austin-roses.jpg

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2014, 21:40:52 »
I'm afraid I'm going to have to give the meet a miss- too many family health issues going on at the moment. I hope you all have a lovely time, and hope the sun shines for you. I'll be there in spirit, and maybe someone else can supply elderflower cordial this year!

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #76 on: July 17, 2014, 09:23:39 »
I am sorry you won't be there Caroline and hope your family health issues resolve themselves soon.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2014, 19:05:29 »
I'm going to make the badges tomorrow - please let me know
if you have one from last year. 

I know everyone's 'real' name, except Silverleaf's.  Please will you let me
know what it is?  Chriscross - I'm assuming your name is Chris?!

Is this everyone?

Digeroo
Pauline and John
Pumpkinlover
Silverleaf
Cambourne, Paul and Harriet
Ellen K
Galina
Lottie Lou
Chriscross
Melbourne12 and Jean
Me

The weather has been boiling here in Birmingham today, but thunder is forecast.
Don't let that put you off, we have plenty of cover if it does rain.

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2014, 20:41:31 »
I'm Anna. :)

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2014, 20:43:03 »

The weather has been boiling here in Birmingham today, but thunder is forecast.
Don't let that put you off, we have plenty of cover if it does rain.

Excellent.  Looking at the uk.weather.com hourly forecast, we may get a bit of a break from the thundershowers from about midday to 3 o'clock. 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal