Author Topic: A4A get-together 2014  (Read 31627 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: A4A get-together 2014
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2014, 07:55:01 »
I am trying to plan it.  Please choose the weekend of the Fairford Airshow next time.

I am planning to come part of the way by car, part by train and part by bus, so then I will not have to go via Alridge from which there is no way out.  Does anyone have any experience of Barnt Green station?  Is it a safe place to leave a car?

The bus X51 seems to be the best option can I use my bus pass.  It is very confusing because you cannot on the X50 which is a national express. 

They say it is a 15 minute walk from New street to bull street but with a huge Primark on route I am not convinced.  Crazy why don't the buses go from the Station.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2014, 11:17:48 »
....I am planning to come part of the way by car, part by train and part by bus, so then I will not have to go via Alridge from which there is no way out. 

I thought you lived in the Cotswolds, Digeroo.  If so why did you go as far north as Aldridge last time when the allotments are at Perry Barr?   According to the AA Routemaster, Barnt Station is only 14 miles from Walsall Allotments.  You could be there in the time it takes to wait for a train or bus!  Have you got a sat nav, Digeroo?

The roads around Birmingham seem very straight forward.  We stayed to the south of the City at the Caravan Club site last year and had no difficulties getting there.  Traffic wasn't too bad at all around Birmingham compared with where we live just off the A303, where a five mile journey back from Tesco in Amesbury can take over an hour. 

Just to confirm that John and I will be at the get-together. 

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2014, 11:39:11 »
Last time I went to Wednesbury to look at a car with a ramp.  I carefully noted the route from Google except I then got send off on a diversion and then another one and finally I ended up in Aldridge.  Could not find my map.  In the end I found a nice policeman who was very amused and put me back on the right road.  I had spent ages crawling round the diversion routes. 

I do not have a satnav.  A friend has an app on her phone which was very good so I might get a snazzy phone except I would be worried about losing it.

The other problem is that the 14 miles would normally include a few tunnels and they are being closed that day for months.  More diversions.  Even more chance of ending up going round in circles again and ending up in you know where.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2014, 16:26:20 »
I'm still hoping to make it

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2014, 07:35:12 »
So far we have

Digeroo
Pauline
Pumpkinlover
Goodlife
Silverleaf
Cambourne
Ellen K
Galina
Caroline
Lottie Lou
Chriscross (hopefully)
Me

Hope I haven't left anyone off - just add yourself if I have.

Anyone else like to come?

PM me if you need my mobile number.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2014, 07:41:07 »
Looks like you have yourself a Lottie Party  :icon_cheers:
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2014, 08:19:18 »
How exciting! :)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2014, 08:23:49 »
You did invite Ace - hasn't he said yet whether he was coming? :tongue3:
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 08:29:23 by galina »

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2014, 08:26:48 »
You did invite Ace - hasn't he said yet whether he was coming? :tongue3:

I may have frightened him off with the offer of a drive in my Micra (spit)  :tongue3:
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2014, 15:11:11 »
I am sorry that I am too far away to come. Looking forward to the pics, and have a smashing time!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2014, 08:44:18 »
So far we have

Digeroo
Pauline
Pumpkinlover
Goodlife
Silverleaf
Cambourne
Ellen K
Galina
Caroline
Lottie Lou
Chriscross (hopefully)
Me

Good to get list together...gives more idea how many to prepare some 'things' for.. I shall bring some plants (different sort) again..and will rummage some seeds too. As what to bring to eat..umm...hmmm...still to decide...

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2014, 09:25:26 »
I'll be bringing cake, but I haven't decided what kind yet. The ones that seem best received are lavender  tea bread (not like bread at all) and chocolate Guinness cake, and I think I remember lemon drizzle cake being mentioned here earlier! ;)

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2014, 10:03:43 »
So far we have

Digeroo
Pauline
Pumpkinlover
Goodlife
Silverleaf
Cambourne
Ellen K
Galina
Caroline
Lottie Lou
Chriscross (hopefully)
Me

Good to get list together...gives more idea how many to prepare some 'things' for.. I shall bring some plants (different sort) again..and will rummage some seeds too. As what to bring to eat..umm...hmmm...still to decide...

Perhaps we should also add partners and children to the above list to get the numbers coming.  John will be coming with me so I have added him on.   I expect Cam will have her other half and daughter with her.   What about Shirl?  Will she be there again this year? 

Digeroo
Pauline and John
Pumpkinlover
Goodlife
Silverleaf
Cambourne
Ellen K
Galina
Caroline
Lottie Lou
Chriscross (hopefully)
Betty

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2014, 14:26:16 »
Oh dear.....I'm having to post pre-warning that I might not be able to attend after all...

Little while ago I filled dog adoption form..and now we have been given notice that we might be having little girl heading to our way..
The charity gave us a date that that we would need be able to go and pick her up..which is to be confirmed from their behalf next few days...and if it all goes ahead as planned..it will fall for the same date than our meeting... :BangHead:

So...Pumkinlover and Silverleaf..I might have to turn our arrangement down...!!! SOOOO sorry about it already..

BUT...I shall let you know when they get back to me in early this week.
And if/when it all goes through...I shall let you know about our possible new arrival...oh yes...plenty of photos, no doubt about it!  :tongue3: :icon_cheers:

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2014, 18:24:47 »
I'm a slightly more firmed up maybe as something I thought I might have to get back for is not clashing (I thought it was possible and needed to look at when I'd be getting back).... what makes it more likely is that I might be buying something in the area (a few miles away) for my lighting rig, and a perfectly reasonable way to go about it might be to  catch the early coach to Birmingham, pick up the bits which are just around the corner from the coach station, then head over to Wallsall Road on the bus which leaves from Snow Hill station... My bits of fiddling around in town are within a mile of each other.... if I don't get the bits (ebay auction) then I've been offered a lift by someone fairly local anyway...

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2014, 20:35:05 »
Like goodlife i need to give a "Hope to be there but..." as my dad and m.i.l.both have health problems so I may have to cry off at short notice..

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2014, 10:24:34 »
One week to go!      :icon_cheers:     Anyone else coming? 

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2014, 15:34:56 »
This is terribly short notice, because we thought at first we wouldn't be able to make the date, but now we can.  We very much enjoyed it last year, and we're looking forward to seeing you all again and perhaps meeting some others!

So we'll be there.  We have some seeds to bring along again this year, although not quite as many as last year.

See you all there!

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2014, 16:19:16 »
Glad to hear that Chriscross might be coming and that Melbourne and Mrs M are definite. 
Really sorry though that Goodlife and Caroline might not come but I do understand their
reasons.  We'll just hope for the best that they can come.

I will be at the gate from 12:15 to meet you but please don't be offended if I don't
recognize some of you!  My memory for faces is awful and I can't even blame it on
old age because I've always been like that.

I'll have the kettle on for when you arrive and then we can decide what to do - either
have something to eat first, or a walk around the allotments or just sit and chat.

I will have some plants for swapping, not sure what just yet because I've been away from
home for a few days but hopefully they have survived being looked after by my husband.

I'll make a cake, and I think someone has mentioned lemon drizzle cake - I LOVE LEMON
DRIZZLE CAKE - but I can't make it!

If anyone would like my mobile number pleas pm me.

So this is the up to date list:-

Digeroo
Pauline and John
Pumpkinlover
?  Goodlife
Silverleaf
Cambourne
Ellen K
Galina
? Caroline
Lottie Lou
Chriscross (hopefully)
Melbourne12 and Mrs M
Betty
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2014, 17:42:29 »
I have no idea what to bring :) sounds like cakes are sorted thanks to silverleaf

There will be me, Hubbie Paul and Harriet of course who is very keen on looking at the gardens.

What would you like me to bring?? Husband has perfected a killer bean salad recipe which we can bring along with a loaf of parmagan and sundried tomato bread?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal