Author Topic: Propagated brassicas..  (Read 2208 times)

goodlife

• Hectare
Propagated brassicas..
« on: April 26, 2014, 13:03:51 »
Since we are talking about so many different veg being propagated from plant matter rather than seeds...I have my recent story to share.
While ago I mentioned on other post my Anatolian tree cabbage plant that haven't flowered and it was coming to its 3 summer season...plant that I foolishly dug out during bed clear out and before I got my brain into gear... :BangHead:
I took some cuttings from other plants that were planted last year and which already had started flowering ..foraged some non-flowering side shoots from low down on the plants.
Because I had that one, already having 'perennial habit'..I missed opportunity to propagated from it..so I headed for the rubbish pile where it have been drying out for couple of weeks....drying out so it can be eventually burned..and yes, it was limp and VERY dead looking....BUT! Couple of branches were buried under weeds..and although they were very shrivelled, there was still hint of green showing through the growing point on the top...rest of the leaves were truly had it.
I chopped those few limbs off..cut dead leaves off and dropped the whole lot in water barrel until next day. Next day they had alredy plumped up a little..so I cut off more the long stems to get more 'fresher' tissue contact with water >another day in barrel.
I carried on like this 4 days..each time chopping more of length off. After all I reduced original 2 ft stems down to 6"...and the final cuttings looked like they were 'alive'  :icon_cheers:
So here we are....2 survived and they've been potted up for rooting and I suspect they have already started doing so...now time will tell if the stress from being nearly dead will bring their flowering instinct on :BangHead:
The two on front are the survivors and some of the smaller ones on left from the flowering ones... :happy7:
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 13:08:39 by goodlife »

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Propagated brassicas..
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 13:49:05 »
Those all look well healthy now. I moved my variegated Daubenton's a couple of weeks ago; the original stem had rotted, but a lot of branches had layered where they touched the ground. I split it up, and although some of it looked really sick at first, it's all perked up since it started raining a few days ago. I had some green Daubenton's and Taunton Deane cuttings from Galina just over a month ago; they're starting to grow, and looking as though they need potting up separately.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 16:17:21 »
I just potted my kales on. The interesting thing was that the smaller cuttings are the ones which have rooted most strongly, while a couple of the bigger ones haven't struck at all yet. They all look quite healthy.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 17:38:14 »
I just potted my kales on. The interesting thing was that the smaller cuttings are the ones which have rooted most strongly, while a couple of the bigger ones haven't struck at all yet. They all look quite healthy.

Yes..smaller cuttings with softer tissue does root quicker..but then then one has to grow them larger before they are safe to go out.
I took some tough, long side branches, like a canes, earlier on the year..and those have been in ground couple of months now..and looks like they are just about starting to root now. Good thing with those is that they already have strong trunk that will hold the heavy top growth upright much better...and those plants don't need much staking neither as I buried half of the stem into ground for anchorage.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 22:18:58 »
Phew, you saved those cuttings from the plant that hadn't flowered just in time, Goodlife.  They are looking bonny!   :toothy10:

It will be interesting to compare them and see whether the non-flowering one will be less inclined to flower than the others. 

Yes, you can tell when they have taken.  I took cuttings and stuck them in the greenhouse soil at the same time I broke off Robert's cuttings.  In the last 3 days the plants have doubled in size.  Good to know yours are coming on too Robert.

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 22:26:32 »
What is an Anatolian Tree Cabbage? Is it related to the Jersey walking stick cabbage
http://www.victoriananursery.co.uk/Walking_Stick_Cabbage_Seed/

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 22:55:56 »
What is an Anatolian Tree Cabbage? Is it related to the Jersey walking stick cabbage
http://www.victoriananursery.co.uk/Walking_Stick_Cabbage_Seed/

Did I say Anatolian...sorry got my 'A's' mixed up. Should have said Asturian.
You find it here.. http://www.realseeds.co.uk/cabbage.html
Yes, suppose it is related as it is type of loose leaf cabbage. This variety just is much more tender textured and doesn't grow as tall as Jersey can ..also there is difference with colour..Asturian is very pale green coloured, Jersey being dark green.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal