Author Topic: A bit of a mix  (Read 1996 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
A bit of a mix
« on: April 27, 2014, 05:29:49 »
I sowed some cosmos weeks ago into a module pack and one single seed germinated.   I managed to cook it on the windowsill.  So I decided to reuse the compost and shoved some sweet corn into it.

Now I have both sweet corn and cosmos in the same modules.  So my question is how to I separate the two.  Do I save the cosmos and sow some more corn?  I am not clear why they have suddenly decided to put in an appearance I had long since given up on them.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: A bit of a mix
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 05:59:34 »
I sowed some cosmos weeks ago into a module pack and one single seed germinated.   I managed to cook it on the windowsill.  So I decided to reuse the compost and shoved some sweet corn into it.

Now I have both sweet corn and cosmos in the same modules.  So my question is how to I separate the two.  Do I save the cosmos and sow some more corn?  I am not clear why they have suddenly decided to put in an appearance I had long since given up on them.

I would take the whole block of soil out of the module and put it in a bowl of water.  As it gets sodden wet, a gentle swill should disintegrate the block and make it possible to separate both.  Then replant.  Maybe by laying the cosmos on top of fine soil with the merest dusting of soil cover and keeping moist.  This way the roots can find their own way into the new fine compost and the plants will stand up as they do.  The sweet corn should be easier to handle and replant into new modules.without any of the old soil attached to prevent a repeat.   I am sure you can save both.

Happens time and again that something germinates late here.  Just one of those things  :glasses9:

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 06:39:36 »
Many thanks for this.  I seem to have a bad effect on cosmos.  Cannot seem to get it to grow well.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 06:44:55 »
 :BangHead: Arghh...oh dear..yes, these things do happen for us all  :drunken_smilie:

As Galina said..that would work..just prick them separate. Cosmos don't mind the disturbance, and if you are careful neither the sweetcorn.

I didn't have mixed up, but I did 'cook' some of my chilli and pepper seeds..something wrong with my propagator and its over heating.
Anyhow..most germinated ok....but few lots didn't show a single little seedling. I put my little pots aside to be taken away...and they got left there for loooong while..no care, no water, all discarded..and YEP...few seeds decided to eventually germinate :icon_cheers:
5 weeks later some of them came through! :drunken_smilie:

small

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 09:19:07 »
this may be a silly question, but can't you leave them together? Wouldn't that look rather pretty, and surely cosmos aren't going to take too much nutrient away from the corn? Could be a new fashion...

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 09:25:31 »
this may be a silly question, but can't you leave them together? Wouldn't that look rather pretty, and surely cosmos aren't going to take too much nutrient away from the corn? Could be a new fashion...

Oooo..that would be pretty sight  :icon_cheers: It propably would work too... :toothy10: I doesn't sound silly suggestion to me.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal