Author Topic: AMD  (Read 2158 times)

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
AMD
« on: April 25, 2014, 17:58:53 »
Haven’t been on here for a while due to vision problems.  Just been diagnosed with AMD and unfortunately sight if failing rather fast so that most of the time I am looking at an almost blank screen.  Does anyone have/know of anyone with this problem and if so, do they have any advice/coping skills they can impart.  All answers would be greatly appreciated.

May

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: AMD
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 19:36:22 »
Sorry, Lottielou, I don't know what AMD is, but I expect anyone with experience of it will do- really sorry to hear about it xx

small

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 19:46:01 »
The RNIB website has some excellent stuff on AMD. My mum has it in one eye, and has been assured by the medics that it does not cause total sight loss. Which is small consolation, I know, but at least it's something. I would contact the RNIB for further information and maybe talk to someone there. I wish you all the best and hope you can continue gardening.

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 20:14:36 »
May my sympathies.  I agree with small about the RNIB site  -
http://www.rnib.org.uk/eye-health-eye-conditions-z-eye-conditions/age-related-macular-degeneration-amd

Caroline AMD is Age-Related Macular Degeneration.
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 05:20:38 »
I'm sorry to hear this May, but if it's any consolation, you are not alone.  I
was diagnosed with it a few years ago.  I suppose that in the past most people
accepted that their sight would get worse as they got older but now we have
a name for the condition it somehow seems more scary.

Can't really offer you any advice because I do tend to forget I've got it! 

The Macular Society has a very good website www.macularsociety.org

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 09:08:25 »
May, 

sorry to hear about the rapid progression of your AMD. 

A friend of ours has it too and she needs to take great care crossing roads and walking steps, because she can only really see out of the corner of her eyes and not straight on.  They have fixed black tape to the edges of the steps going up to their house, so she can see better and not trip.  She manages reading with her Kindle on the largest print setting, but prefers to have the computer hooked up to the telly to make the print larger and easier to see.  They are looking into speaking computer software too. 

Her husband does all the driving.  And also the cleaning, she just can't see enough to know where to clean.  Recently they hired a 'lady who does' for a few hours to help with some jobs.  Sewing on buttons etc is also nearly impossible.  I hope you have help or can organise help. 

There are two types of AMD, one can be treated.  Our friend had treatment but that only halted what was already a pretty bad deterioration.  She mentioned that rather than the course of injections she had last year, they now do a laser treatment instead.  Hope there is treatment for your type.  She sometimes gets frustrated because she appears 'clumsy'and 'slow' yet nobody can see why on the outside.  A neighbour (who apparently does not know) has been very unkind and spread rumours that she is lazy, because her hubby does cleaning.  Please tell people around you so they can understand and be ready to help if needed. 

Dame Judi Dench has it too:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17084970

I hope you will soon have a support network and coping strategies worked out, so that you can continue with the things you like to do. 
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 09:24:23 by galina »

pumkinlover

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 09:33:08 »
I hope that you can have some treatment and that you can get the most out of life and your garden xx Anne

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 02:43:57 »
I was also sorry to hear about your vision problem. Our son who is 45 has the wet type of MD. Here is a website that has an audio explanation of both types of MD and it is interactive. You can test your understanding as they talk. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/tutorials/maculardegeneration/htm/_no_50_no_0.htm
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 05:15:21 »
Sorry to hear you have a problem. 

Are you still able to enjoy your garden?  Are there ways to change it so you can still manage it. 

My husband has sight problems and really benefits from his bus pass.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2014, 12:13:41 »
I am so sorry to hear about your sight problems, May. 

Do contact the RNIB as I am sure they will be able to help you adjust to your situation and give you some good advice. 

I hope you will still be able to continue with your gardening. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal