Author Topic: Gang fight.  (Read 2179 times)

digmore

• Half Acre
Gang fight.
« on: April 21, 2014, 20:59:56 »
All hell broke lose this morning, 5 chickens attacked 1 of 3 ducks in run. Separated all concerned, tried to reintroduce back into run this afternoon. No chance, blood,snot and feathers everywhere.

All birds have been in run together for 6mths, no problems.

Whats gone wrong?, any suggestion plz.

Digmore.  :wave:

Fruittea

Re: Gang fight.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 11:20:40 »
Hi there
That does sound awful.  Sounds like you need to do a proper re-introduction.  It might be best to keep them apart for the day and then try putting them back together at night so they all settle in a little.  It might happen anyway if they all go up together.  Occasionally I have seen one hen bullied and not allowed to go up at night - I've waited until everyone is quiet an then put them in together and it's been alright in the morning. 

I'd be very careful if there any blood around on any of the hens - as this could provoke a riot.   It might have been something like that which set them off in the first place.  So any inspection for blood might be needed  If their is any sign of damage or blood - best keep them apart.  A good tip to stop any blood flow is to throw a little flour over any wound.

Good luck 

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 13:40:31 »
Have they been on lay for long...if there is 'new starters' for this season laying...and particularly if one of them is becoming broody, feelings can become bit touchy and some can get quite heated. Once one start...other may join the fun and excitement = riot.
Usually birds are much calmer during winter months..so that maybe reason for them getting along last 6 months.
There is not much else to do than keep ducks and chickens separate which would be generally good idea all the time..unless they have free run over quite large area.

digmore

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 13:43:12 »
Thanks again for the input.

Digmore.  :wave:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal