Author Topic: Seeds not Germinating  (Read 4231 times)

steveg1966

• Quarter Acre
Seeds not Germinating
« on: April 03, 2014, 11:28:59 »
I have sown about 20 lots of seeds over the last 6/7 weeks including cabbage toms leeks onions marigolds and loads of other stuff in my greenhouse and heated propagator and nothing has germinated at all the seeds are in date and the packets have been bought new this year and I have sown them as I have always done the only thing has been different potting I have used gro sure potting compost instead of my usual stuff so could it be the compost?.   

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Seeds not Germinating
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 12:59:35 »
That's not good news Steve. It sound like something is amiss somewhere, I've not used Gro Sure, so don't know how good it is. But this year I did have a bag of B&Q compost that was a struggle to germinate seeds in, those that did germinate went yellow very quickly and growth was poor. They picked up after a weak feed or two. So I'd get a bag of your usual compost and sow fast germinating seeds alongside some in the Gro Sure and go from there to rule out causes. I'm not sure if your compost was an old bag, which can be difficult for starting seeds, I think the nutrients leach out and the compost becomes stale.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 13:02:40 »
There is always the 'compost possibility', I haven't used gro-sure compost so I don't know about it..does it feel different to your usual?
Last few weeks we've had some lovely weather too and temperature in greenhouse can easily jump too high and result bad germination...and being in propagator as well...
Have you checked the temperature that propagator is working on?..there could be fault too..too high, too low, not working at all?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 13:07:42 »
In Which? compost review Westland gro sure compost didn't do very well at all...I wonder...

But even with 'not so good compost' one would expect some amount of germination...total lack of it over so many different veg varieties is quite baffling.

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 13:41:20 »
Surely the seed itself carries all the nutrient needed for germination? Wouldn't the compost only affect the later growth? Isn't it more likely to be the watering or the temperature, or the seeds themselves. Even though they are new seed, if they have been stored badly they could be dead.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 14:09:00 »
Surely the seed itself carries all the nutrient needed for germination? Wouldn't the compost only affect the later growth? Isn't it more likely to be the watering or the temperature, or the seeds themselves. Even though they are new seed, if they have been stored badly they could be dead.
Yes...the nutrients in the compost is not issues as such..but the quality/structure of the ingredients making the compost would matter. Hp, too water holding or not enough etc..
Storage can be issue..though I haven't had packet that wouldn't have at least one seed germinating...it would have to quite drastically badly stored seeds indeed.
I'm thinking more of environmental issues too...maybe the moon wasn't quite right phase for seed sowing.. :drunken_smilie: :tongue3:

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 14:49:46 »
I thought of compost first as Steve wrote it is the only thing that is different. He has sown a variety of new seeds in his normal manner, both in a greenhouse and in a propagator. To me a duff lot of compost seemed possible and one of the easiest one for him to test and rule out. My experience was of compost which was lacking in nutrients perhaps suggesting an inferior mix, making it not ideal for good seed germination, it might have no bearing at all. I also find old compost does not give as good seed germination as fresh.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 16:18:36 »
nothing has germinated

Do you mean that literally or do you mean germination rate is very low?

all the seeds are in date and the packets have been bought new this year

Who's seeds are they?

and I have sown them as I have always done

Which is?

When you say 'both in a greenhouse and in a propagator'

What do you germinate them in e.g. pots/trays ??

Is the greenhouse heated?

What temperature is your propagator set for?

Is it themostatically controlled?

I have used gro sure potting compost instead of my usual stuff so could it be the compost?.   

You mention;'Potting' as opposed to seed or multi-purpose

I always add silver sand to my multi-purpose (50-50) for seed just to drop the fertiliser content.

Potting might be too strong or free draining for that matter.

Sorry for all the questions but I just can't put my finger on what is the possibly wrong perhaps answers to the above might give us all food for thought!

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 16:44:08 »
I sow my seeds on pieces of damp kitchen towel, fold it and put it in a small plastic bag with a name tag then place in the airing cupboard.   I check them daily and when the seeds begin to split and germinate, I transfer them individually into jiffy 7's or small pots in my unheated greenhouse greenhouse.   That way I know whether or not the seeds have germinated. Several of my seed packets are several years old yet still produce plants year after year.  I cover the seedlings with a few layers of fleece of an evening and so far they are all doing well. 

Steveg, if you have any seeds left in your packets, why not try germinating a few tomatoes this way.  At least you will know if there is something wrong with the seeds.  I have successfully germinated toms, cues, peppers, squash, chillies, courgettes and beans this way in the last few weeks.   Good luck.

steveg1966

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 08:31:58 »
I did an experiment with some tomato seeds from the same packets last Sunday. I bought some wilkos potting compost and mixed with perlite which is what I normally do and I have had 100% germination which would suggest that it is the gro-sure potting compost so I will be on to the manufactures and what they have to say.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 15:44:37 »
Potting compost against seed compost can have enough feed to burn the very tender growth shoots on new seed. Potting compost is really meant for ptting not seed sowing. Seeds do not really need food to germinate. Just water and the correct temperature, not too wet and not too hot.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 01:31:17 »
My only failures so far this year are sweet peas! I soaked them overnight, bunged them in them in the heated propogator and not one has shown itself yet...
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 09:27:27 »
What about slugs or mice?  Maybe they germinated but then got eaten.

I also suggest you germinate some on kitchen roll and try a test with a different compost.

There are chemicals which stop germination.   Rye for example exudes it.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2014, 20:02:51 »
I sow my sweetpeas  on Oct 8th and never soak them and certainly would not put them in any heat whatever. Just sow water and leave alone very few even need nicking these days.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2014, 22:18:28 »
Yes this is what I get for deviating from my usual habits....I checked the pots today and most have rotted. I stupidly used up some compost with added JI and it's just hung onto the water and dissolved them.....that will teach me! Got some seedlings (individual coloured ones as well for a change) to replace them today cheaper than new seeds would have cost me so happy bunny again now....
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2014, 13:52:40 »
My technique for hte last few years has been to use New horizon with a thin layer of JI Seed on top of the seeds, for very fine seeds then I'll put them on JI with JI on top too... has wopred very well for me, though I'm aware that neither New Horizon nor JI Seed are cheap composts... I'll use 6 bags of NH and 2 little ones of JI Seed in a year for all my sowing (big greenhouse and I module sow everything)

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2014, 21:23:59 »
I think the standard of potting compost that one gets from the garden centres has got more variable over the last ten years. I have had some dreadful stuff in the past - only fit for digging in the ground. I also wonder whether they could harbour fungal disease that might wipe out seeds and seedlings very quickly. They are supposed to be sterilised but are they really or do they simply rely on the heat from the compost heap? It may have got worse because more councils are collecting green waste from residents for composting.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal