Author Topic: jamies school dinners  (Read 7942 times)

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
Re: jamies school dinners
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2005, 20:36:16 »
This whole subject upsets me.

I have nothing but admiration for Jamie O for what he is trying to achieve.

My two children ( 8 and 6 yrs ) both have school meals and the menu does 'sound' good - but is it nuritionally balanced? or is it made up of turkeys 'gonads'

School meals cost £1.70 per day but are we getting our moneys worth in a healthy, nutritionally-balanced daily meal????

I am seriously considering reverting to packed lunches - at least I have ownership over what my children will be eating....

Debs ( a disgruntled parent , full of 'school meal questions' )

TULIP-23

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2005, 20:51:09 »
Going Back a little  to our School Dinners that would be around

1952/3   Potatoes   Mashed
              They had More Eyes than the
Opthelmic Department 
               Semalema  Like Wall paper paste
               The Peas were like Bullets we used to flick  um with a spoon around the Dining Hall
              The Custard..........Brrrrrrrrrrrr
              The  gravy came out that big Metal Jug like something out a Concrete Mixer

Loved being Milk Monitor you could drink the Extra Milk!!!!!

That stopped when the Goverment Brought in Milk Tablets

Oh  the Good Old Days   when School Dinners Cost Mama
2 Bob a Week.............Now that was a very Special Time
SCHOOL MEALS???
Could have done with Jamie even More then than now!!!!!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2005, 11:22:50 by TULIP-23 »
Sometimes its better to listen than to talk

Dirkdigger

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2005, 22:53:20 »
Just watched SIR JAMES OLIVER on Parkinson, seen all the programs. Its really disgusting that on average a child's school dinner equates to about 37 pence, but a rapist or murderer is allowed I think an average of 97 pence ?
Whats gone wrong ? no wonder vandalism has gone on the up, at least you get a decent meal( bring back bread and water). I suppose really it comes down to us parents, taking control and making sure our children eat healthier before its too late.
So any parents out there quickly log on to the site and support the appeal
We owe it to our grandchildren!!!!

North Country Boy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2005, 23:03:50 »
Im at work and my wife has just rang me to tell me about the Parkie interview, there's more regulation on pet food than there is on kids school meals, absolutely diabolical. She also told me about the rapist comment and that they get better fed than our kids. what has happened to this country? doesn't anyone care about our future generation anymore, it makes me so angry. The whole country's got itself into such a mess they cannot control it anymore, rapist's getting more for food than children, school leavers getting more money to stay on at school than old people are paid in pension's, immigrants being bought cars and mobile phones to get to job interviews, when is it going to end?

Gardenantics

• Acre
    • Garden Antics
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2005, 01:39:54 »
Just got off the Jamie Oliver website, thought I would sign the petition he is taking to Tone at No. 10.
Do a google for his web address, sorry I can't remember the things for more than a millisecond.
Our kids are grown up now thank god, but it seems obvious to me that the little extra it will cost to feed children good food will be offset by the savings to the NHS in dealing with the effects of a bad diet, not to mention the behavior improvements that will result in a calmer classroom and less stressed out teachers. I bet saving on recruiting teachers would go a long way to paying for the food.
Sign the petition, I wonder how many MP's kids have Turkey Twizzlers.
As Bernard Matthews says:
'Turkey Twizzlers' Norfolk 'n' Good.
Brian

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2005, 10:08:26 »
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 21:57:55 by GREENWIZARD »
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2005, 11:36:01 »
My brother in laws partner was the school cook for 2 terms in our small village but gave it all up 2 weeks ago.  She was disgusted at the quality of the food she had to cook.  The basic meat was supplied by Brakes and she said she would not feed the dog on the quality of the meat supplied by this company.  Again, this was all down to the cost of Brakes food and the amount of money allocated to each pupil.  Also last year, Primary one and two were offered free fruit during break times. This was stopped after two terms, again because the pupils were not interested in eating fruit despite encouragement from teachers and the school cook.

Thers is an article in the Sunday paper today saying that one in five Primary seven children in Scotland is clinically obese.  This is a big worry.

I dont know where the answer lies.  I think some parents today have absolutely no idea on the kind of food we should be eating.  The vast majority of young folk do not know how to cook from scratch and it is too easy to heat up a pizza, boil some pasta and buy Chinese/Indian or whatever to bother about the basics of cooking. 

There is certainly trouble ahead for some of the youngsters of today and their parents unless something is done and Jamie Oliver has opened the eyes of the populus on how ignorant the younger generations are on the importance of proper eating.

cookie

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2005, 19:09:30 »
This is going to be a subject very close to my heart.As you may have guessed from my log in, cooking has been a major employment for me. It all started years ago, my poor mum was a rotten cook, she just was'nt interested, so i learnt to cook. Boy did i cook!!!  In those days ( only the seventies) we had proper cookery lessons, how to cook all sorts from basics upwards. My boys of 19 and 21, had food tech lessons, how to design a sandwich, how to make a pizza( first buy a base, sauce etc, no mention of nutritional values at all.  Because Barrie and i have always had veggie gardens, and have always enjoyed good food, I think that it has rubbed of on the boys, they can both cook well, and are keen to experiment. In fact, Alex, son no !,hascooked as a job to help him through uni Also we have always tried to eat together as a family, not always easy, but the t.v has always been switched off at meal times.... When the boys were at middle school, I got a job as cook at sam,e school, what an eye opener , most of the children only wanted chips chips and more chips. They had the option of meal of the day, usually a meat and veg type, a snack type option or a salad.There was always fruit juice and water available , but they always wanted coke!!! The cooks and dinner ladies tried to educate the children about food, but I think that lots of parents need the education!!!! I am not in an inner city, but in a rural town in in Somerset, so good luck jamie.

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2005, 20:05:58 »
I did cookery at school (food and nutrition I think it was called or d.s. or something).  We used to make things like stews and cakes etc.
My neice's latest assignment was to make a salad.  A salad !!!  Girls in her class turned up with a bag of mixed leaves and a jar of dressing.  When she made coleslaw and mixed bean salad they took the p*** cos they said they weren't salads. 
When she took humous and veg sticks to school for lunch they said she was eating poo.  She replied 'At least I'm not eating mashed pigs bum in slices'.   Ahh bless, -  I took that to mean spam.
Get with the beat Baggy

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2005, 22:04:04 »
I love Spam  ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2005, 10:05:25 »
Oh my goodness that reminds me, we used to have fat slices of spam at school, battered then deep fried! YUCK! The grease used to ooze when you cut it with your knife :P
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Deleted

• Half Acre
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2005, 22:01:20 »
Hi. the petitions now closed (with more than 271,000 signatures !). The site all about the programme, campaign, kids meals, etc., is www.feedmebetter.com
Dawn

Deleted

• Half Acre
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2005, 22:05:26 »
P.S. loved my school dinners! (sad, but true).

Pork cobbler, fish on fridays, cabbage, beef pie, toffee apple pudding, semolina with pink sugar, cheese and biscuits instead of pud some days, and (the best) vanilla ice cream with hot caramel sauce.... Mmmmm....
Dawn

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2005, 13:41:00 »
...........liver with elastic bands, frog's spawn, lumpy mash, sandwich sick, custard you could use to repair your paddling pool -those were the days.

Jeremy

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2005, 14:29:36 »
We used to get beetroot with gravy on which always made me heave  ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2005, 14:35:21 »
my school dinners were fab :)

freshly cooked food, a 14 day rotating menu i think, always two or three choices, and hardly ever able to get seconds as the uptake was very high in the schools

this was a canteen that served two or three schools i think, so lots of covers cooked.
and no chips or fries for us, nor pizza

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
svea
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2005, 15:11:11 »
Our grub was great too.  The best pud was choc sponge with choc custard or steamed apricot pudding.  And fantastic home made chcken or steak pie served with amsh and greens.  Yyyyyyyuuuuummmmyyy !
Get with the beat Baggy

simon404

• Hectare
    • Simon's Allotment
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2005, 21:35:59 »
So did we get a result today? An extra 10p for ingredients. No ban on junk food, no return to minimum nutritional standards, just the setting up of an "advisory body". Better than nothing I suppose?  :-\

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2005, 01:10:38 »
I missed that news - don't tell me who's on the "advisory body".  Industry representatives?  Food manufacturers?  And a few number-crunchers?

Don't even want to look.

How about a few parents, kids and old-fashioned dinner ladies?

All best - Gavin

Deleted

• Half Acre
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2005, 08:41:56 »
We should be so lucky.

It's all just hot air. Call me cynical, but while the meals are out out to tender with private firms, the same situation is stil going to occur. It's not just that 37p went for food and the rest went for costs such as wages - some of 'the rest' went for nice fat profits to the owners/shareholders of the private companies. I know someone that worked for one of the private school dinner contracors a couple of years ago, and he left because he was so disgusted with the way it was run.
Dawn

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal