Author Topic: Strawberry leaves/top of plants being eaten/cut off  (Read 6737 times)

Hector

• Hectare
Strawberry leaves/top of plants being eaten/cut off
« on: April 10, 2014, 19:52:08 »
Lost eleven plants in two nights :(
It doesn't seem to be slugs as the leaves are. Not nibbled...it's more a case of them being halved/chopped off or totally gone.
I've put out pet safe slug pellets but don't think it's them.

what do you think it could be ....and can the plants grow back???
Jackie

Ian Pearson

• Acre
    • Growing Oca
Re: Strawberry leaves/top of plants being eaten/cut off
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 20:14:08 »
Rabbits will eat strawberries early in the year. I also have my suspicions about pigeons. Anyway, I find it tends to stop by late spring. If the crown of the plant is still there, it will grow back.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 20:27:18 »
Thanks Ian, that gives me some hope. we have two HUMUNGOUS pigeons my husband feeds twice a day........
if it is them, would putting string with cd's on them put them off.
according to hubby, it seems worse overnight...so maybe rabbits? In saying that, I think he is in denial it can be the pigeons.
Jackie

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 21:25:50 »
Deer really lover strawberry leaves.  Though ours stop once we get more active on site and there are other things around to eat.   They come at dawn. 

I  have never had a problem with pigeons eating strawberry leaves.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 22:08:01 »
wow, deer! As much as I love them, I'm glad we don't get them in our garden, We are rural but bunnies, pheasants, pigeon, squirrels, badgers and hedgehogs are our limit :)
Jackie

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 23:11:47 »
What about Muntjac?  They are all over the place here,  haven't they arrived with you yet.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 09:18:57 »
Definitely some kind of grazing animal!  The leaves must be absolutely delicious to them because they all seem to go straight for them in the spring.  The deer did a fantastic job of tidying up my strawberry plants this winter.

Last year a couple of the lambs from the farmer's field behind us got through to our garden and massacred every strawberry plant in the garden!  They didn't go for anything else that I noticed.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 11:13:47 »
I am pretty sure it is muntjac that have eaten off the top of some radishes I was growing for the seed pods, also some borage I grew from seed for bees etc - sliced off across the top. I have not noticed any strawberry attacks. At first I thought someone interfering had come onto my plot, disapproving of plants going to seed, and was a bit upset.....but someone pointed out the stalks were chewed rather than cut.

Ian Pearson

• Acre
    • Growing Oca
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 20:02:10 »
Hector, I just noticed today that damage to one of my bed of strawbs has stopped while the other bed is still being browsed. This could be due to the fact that I applied neat urine to the plants. Perhaps you would like to repeat the experiment to confirm the findings :-)

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 20:51:55 »
Ian.....my husband insisted on reading this as he suspected I was pulling his leg. We will try this as I don't want to lose more :)
Jackie

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 21:43:12 »
I was also going to suggest a bit of territory marking.  You need to reapply every time it rains.  They do not seem to like the smell of blood fish and bone either.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2014, 13:10:37 »
Digeroo...I'm happy for my husband to "christen" the plants....but would have to check his insurance before considering a blood sacrifice.

Silly question....would bluetits do this type of damage.....whenever I go over to plot a wee flock of what looks like them flutters up off the soil?
Jackie

Ian Pearson

• Acre
    • Growing Oca
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2014, 18:57:38 »
I'm pretty sure bluetits eat mostly insects and seeds, so I think they are innocent.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2014, 20:48:09 »
I know...it would seem highly unlikely....it might not have been bluetits...similar size with a flash of white in tail as they (two/three) took flight. I don't expect to see them on the ground either. Need to wear glasses in garden.
Good news is some signs of other wee leaves coming through. They have been "christened".
Jackie

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2014, 21:36:20 »
When I was a child the blue tits would rip open the metal covers on the milk bottles and peck at the cream.   

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2014, 21:51:33 »
I remember that as well. They learnt that a nutritious meal awaited inside. That wouldn't apply so much to leaves, though.

http://www.britishbirdlovers.co.uk/articles/blue-tits-and-milk-bottle-tops

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2014, 16:54:13 »
come back from camping and half my strawberry plants are gone :( Can't be grazing animal as before we went I used old guinea pig run to cover. odd thing is that the ones who are doing well are thriving...but others totally gone!
Jackie

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2014, 10:18:54 »
my strawberries were `nibbled` and then one completely died and to my horror, the bag was teaming with vine weevils. I did not recognise the nibbled leaves until too late. Their roots have all gone but I have replanted in new compost and used vine weevil nematodes. Might be worth having a good look in the soil. The nibbling was caused by the adults and the vine weevil grubs have done their worst
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 10:21:38 by strawberry1 »

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2014, 15:04:43 »
I wondered about that, but the plants came bare rooted?
Jackie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal