Author Topic: Help to identify plant  (Read 2669 times)

amphibian

Help to identify plant
« on: April 22, 2014, 03:26:49 »
I have just discovered this plant growing up tall polls amongst my raspberries on my new plot. It is a good 6' tall with thornless but coarsely pubescent, tender stems which have climbed the poll by themselves as a bean would. No idea what it is but it has been planted deliberately and something about it suggests fruit to me, but I can't quite place it.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Help to identify plant
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 08:50:36 »
I would suggest it is a thornless blackberry.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 09:28:07 »
Could be a hop?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 09:46:30 »
Looks like hop for me too...
All blackberry's and their relations have leaves are divided down to the leaf stalk..leaflets.

You might be interested of this... http://www.britishhops.org.uk/hop-growing/  :toothy10:
And if you enlarge the photo of the plant with ball of string on front..you  will see 'your' plant.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 09:55:21 by goodlife »

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 10:03:47 »
Hops have two opposing leaves and quite a thin stem.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 10:44:04 »
It is quite difficult to judge how thick that stem is from the photo...but being thinner than the cane its twining is certainly achievable for hop. I have seen the new growth low down being as thick as my little finger but as the plant mature and 'stretch out' the stems is getting thinner. As for the leaves...I haven't have chance to compare if there is any difference between female and mail plant leaves, but as a just general 'hop'..there leaf shape/division is not 'set'..there is several variations in just individual plant in same time...usually lower/younger leaves at the bottom of the plants being particularly less divided.

Looking at the photo...looks like the stem has some prickle'ness  to it? Hops do have it in their stems.
Rubus as of blackberries etc. don't twine like that....for what I know of.. :drunken_smilie:

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 12:26:16 »
Looks like a hop to me too.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 13:30:39 »
It is difficult to see from the pic if there are two leaves or one at each junction.  Not sure that brambles wrap like that.

amphibian

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 14:04:27 »
It does indeed look like a hop. Looking at the dead remnants from last years growth would also suggest hops.

It has grown from nowhere to about 6' tall in a month too - which I think is a hop-like thing to do.

Not sure I have much use for a hop plant - I should also imagine it will climb over half the bird netting too.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 15:37:39 »
Not sure I have much use for a hop plant - I should also imagine it will climb over half the bird netting too.

Well..young newly emerging shoots in spring (too late now)can be eaten like asparagus  :icon_cheers: ..you could brew some 'sleepy tea' from the leaves, maybe blending with something else to give nice flavour (though I don't know what hop tea taste like)  :icon_cheers:
Flowers you could use making beer  :icon_cheers: ..or sell/give them somebody else who does beer..maybe you end up with bottle or two to taste  :icon_cheers: Or...you could make little pillows that you stuff with dried flowers...supposed to make you sleep better :icon_cheers:
So options are...eat it, drink it, sleep and sniff at it , all option will send you to sleep...head ache is optional  :tongue3: :icon_cheers:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal