Author Topic: Rotovater tiller  (Read 1840 times)

steve1967

• Half Acre
Rotovater tiller
« on: April 13, 2014, 16:54:30 »
Hi all,
I have borrowed a Handy 3.5hp rotavator from a friend to use on my allotments. They are both ten pole plots which I dig by hand first. I am looking to purchase a good machine that will work the ground once it is dug. The machine I borrowed has been ok so far. I am concerned if it will last . Basically I am looking for advice as to what other members have found to be a good purchase. I am quite happy to spend £ 400 plus as long as it's a good investment.

Advice greatly appreciated

steve76

• Acre
Re: Rotovater tiller
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 17:27:54 »
Hi,
I brought an old tiller from ebay worked fine, but i did get a new engine for it last year in total cost me £180 and it does a very good job,
 Now if you want to spend £2000 i would recommend this  http://www.tracmaster.co.uk/camon/camon-rotavators/c8-rotovator.html

I borrowed one of these this year and it is a fabulous machine, goes to a good depth and seed bed finish..

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 17:36:20 »
look on ebay for a good howard 350 this will last you years mine is in valuable
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 19:02:31 »
IMO the mantis GX25 with the 4 stroke honda engine takes some beating for the value for money.

I got ours 2 seasons ago from a plot mate for £200 and it's been ever reliable since,that small Honda plant is more than man enough to till medium to heavy soil down to around 10 ins by 8 ins wide and once going is quite formidable for a small rotorvator .

I just looked and there are a few going for similar money on that well known trading site.

Gazza

Uncle_Filthster

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 20:59:16 »
Same as Gazza for me.  We have the deluxe mantis and it makes an easy job of it, plus you can switch the tines around and flick any weeds that establish in you nicely turned over soil with it.  They also do a 43cc double width mantis now.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 13:34:26 »
Old Howards are good, with 10 pole plots you could even look at a Gem... in order of usefulness of accessories:
POtato ridger out front by a distance, then pick tines, roller and the spade wheels, then a double-wheel kit, then the trailer. Try to get one with a modern engine, those old JAP and Sachs units look great, adn if they work well they're fantastic, but they're not getting any younger and neither are the old geezers who can keep them running....

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 21:47:14 »
I bought a Handy 3.5 tiller from a garden centre a year ago. It works fine but recently I think the clutch needs readjusting as after using it for an hour it starts to screech when the clutch is engaged.  One factor to consider is how easy it easy to make adjustments ourself  to avoid expensive maintenance costs.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal