Author Topic: The Big Allotment Challenge BBC2 20:00  (Read 16973 times)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Re: The Big Allotment Challenge BBC2 20:00
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2014, 00:39:13 »
We just watched it over lunchtime on the iPlayer.  Hmmmm.  I tried very hard to like it, but neither of us was overly impressed.  I know that some allotmenteers grow for shows, but it's a minority interest really.  And plenty of allotment holders grow flowers.  We do too, including sweet peas.  But we don't do elaborate flower arrangements.   And we do preserve fruit, including making some into jam, but most of our excess fruit is given away or put in the freezer.

The whole programme didn't quite seem to be in the spirit of allomenteering, somehow.   Did the radishes taste nice?  We don't know.  Did the sweet peas make a lovely display on the wigwam and smell beautiful?  We don't know.  And did the fresh fruit explode with flavour before being made into jam?  Again, we don't know.

I have done some showing and even grow the odd thing especially for showing (Atlantic Giant pumpkins, Kondor adn Sherrine potatoes), but it does strike me as being a bit weird to grow to show instead of eat.... a couple of half-rows of spuds and a big pumpkin on a pile of poo is counterbalanced by the other 14 rods growing me things I can eat.... and come to think of it I can eat the Kondors....

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2014, 18:02:21 »
And why, after showing it on Tuesday every week, have they got the final on Thursday??

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2014, 21:59:31 »
Interesting cordials the other week. It may encourage me to be more adventurous than the usual elderflower cordial in summer and elderberry cordial in winter. Rhubarb and strawberry cordial will be first I think. Strawberries are just starting to turn.
Once you get past the disappointment of finding out the series is not what you expected, there is some good stuff to glean.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2014, 23:17:35 »
Once you get past the disappointment of finding out the series is not what you expected, there is some good stuff to glean.
I agree with that, exactly my thoughts.

Golach

• Half Acre
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2014, 16:06:52 »
Theres a lot of spare plots at Pickards Field in Swindon where S.A.L.G.A have their shop.  Would like to be there when the flush of nuwbe's come looking.
If they think theres going to be weed free plots with greenhouses there going to be in for a big dissappointment.   I feel it gives totaly the wrong impression.  No mention of different soil types/weeds/bugs and slugs/birds and snails.
 If they want to challenge then provide them all with the same seed and see how well they do, that way its about ability.  Same with the jam making ectra, all
to work to the same recipes like we do for the yearly shows.  I must admit I was very dissappointed but not surprised by the content.
Wishing you all a Happy Easter. :sunny: :wave:

Hey hey Taurus.  That's where I've got my two plots  :toothy10:

Both badly overgrown when I got them.  One is coming along but the other...well...a lot of work there but at least it has some fruit bushes on it.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2014, 17:18:31 »
Nice to see lots of new recipes for rhubarb- made some rhubarb and ginger cordial at the weekend (recipe from Jamie Oliver site)

If Kate and Eleanor don't win, there's no justice!

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2014, 07:49:13 »
If Kate and Eleanor don't win, there's no justice!
I watched the final last night and oh dear they were pipped at the post, before the program I thought they were going to win, what a shame!

It would have been nice to have seen more of a progression of skills and use of produce other than preserves - perhaps they did I only watched a few programs? Cooking dishes from their own crops would have been good to see and surely some part of how their plot was planned, looked and tended should come into the equation and overall champion?
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2014, 07:14:05 »
Apart from sweet preserves etc, I would have liked to seem them produce savouries. eg their own baked beans and a posh salad.   And some kind of 'oh I say that tastes wonderful.'

We still have several spare plots on site, the programme does not seem to have produced a rush of interest.   

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2014, 09:01:54 »
We have just had another email from the above media people asking if we could inform our members about their new programme......they want a group of neighbours to give up their own gardens and join together in a " communal " garden with the help of a celebrity gardener...ummmmmmm....

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2014, 18:49:02 »
Haven't they done something similar before where a row of households helped each other to improve their gardens? It was that annoying Anne-Marie Powell(?). Now if you tell me it's Chris Beardshaw, I'll get round to my neighbours straight away!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal