Author Topic: New Strawberry Bed  (Read 1323 times)

amphibian

New Strawberry Bed
« on: April 15, 2014, 00:16:55 »
After Years without an allotment I am just starting to establish a carbon copy of my old, beloved, strawberry bed.

I grew, on my old plot:

1. Marais De Bois
2. Gariguette
3. Chelsea Pensioner
4. Cambridge Late Pine

Now I can happily substitute Chelsea Pensioner for some other, maybe 'Ken Muir' - however Cambridge Late Pine is unique as far as I can tell, nowt I have ever eaten tastes like it or even vaguely lives up to its flavour.

I have searched high and low for someone selling these plants, but no-one seems to sell it anyway. i have tried Ken Muir, who was my old source, anyone any idea whatever where I can buy some.

Spookyville

• Acre
  • Freezing in West Yorshire...
    • downtheplot
Re: New Strawberry Bed
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 00:57:02 »
This guy got some last year so perhaps drop him a message to find out where he sourced his from...

https://davidcstuart.wordpress.com/2013/03/23/old-faithfuls/

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 02:40:58 »
Maybe try RHS at Wisley as they were saying they grow it in a blog post last summer although it is not listed in their plants list for this season.

http://mygarden.rhs.org.uk/blogs/saradraycott/archive/2013/08/02/berries-a-bountiful-summer-and-flavoursome-fridays-at-rhs-garden-wisely.aspx
Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 06:28:20 »
I am sure that mine came from Ken Muir.  Are they just out of stock.   I love the taste of them but they are so disappointing on the fruiting front.   Here's the good news they taste great and here is the bad news there is only one fruit. 

Personally I think that Vibrant (Marshmarvel) and Marshmello knocks the spots off them.  If you still want some sent me a message in about june/July and I will set some runners going for
you.   

amphibian

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 11:52:34 »
Thank you for the links.

Mine originally came from Ken Muir but as far as I can see they have not been stocked for a few years.

That's funny, Digeroo, our Late Pine was by far our most productive row. I'd describe it as a heavy cropper 5kg for a 12' row (ah the joy of mixed imperial/metric) according to my notes - that was on a very stony clay loam over two very dry seasons but we were religious about removing the 240,000,000 runners they put out - I have never known a variety produce so many runners.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal