Author Topic: National Allotment Society  (Read 2836 times)

andrea66

• Not So New ...
National Allotment Society
« on: May 23, 2014, 16:15:26 »
Good afternoon

I got my first allotment this year and have paid my £40 per year rent. I have been told by the committee that part of that fee is membership to the National Allotment Society but when I asked what the benefits are (personally) they said that the benefits are for the shop, mentioning cheap seeds and insurance. Is this correct ? Do we not as individuals benefit ? Would like to know the pros and cons of the National Allotment Society - many thanks.

andyswarbs

• Not So New ...
    • Eynsham Allotment Association
Re: National Allotment Society
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 17:07:47 »
My personal opinion is they are overpriced.  Last time I looked even their website failed to spell out any advantages.  If they cannot explain clear tangible benefits then, I agree with your question - why?

We were members of NSALG and are not anymore, that was a decision made before I got a plot.  Asking why they left one comment was that insurance was available just cheap without them.

I do understand the need for pressure groups acting on behalf of allotments, and that costs money.  I'd like to see their accounts to understand how the income is spent.  That would help me understand the cost/benefits.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 17:38:23 »
That is a cheap allotment, just writing out the cheque for mine, and I got a reminder from Council as 14 days late.  £84.80 that is with a concession rate as I live in Enfield and am a OAP.  Still think it is value for money, even if I am only growing weeds at the moment with all this rain.  :sunny: :sunny:  Hopefully will get some sun and some strawberries soon.  Wish we had a shop on site as I don't drive.

andrea66

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 10:09:28 »
Thanks Andyswarbs & Borlotti for the replies. I'm glad it's not just me who cannot see the justification nor transparency regarding the association - happy gardening :-)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal