Author Topic: Old tomato compost....will fresh manure bed sterilise it?  (Read 2259 times)

Hector

• Hectare
I grow my spuds in a four by four very tall wooden trough contraption. It works well. I wondered if I can use old tomato compost IF....
I sterilise/kill off any potential risk of blight by mixing it in a compost bin with lots of fresh manure.....if this gets "hot" enough would it sterilise the pre used compost so it is safe to used in my potato tower?
Jackie

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Old tomato compost....will fresh manure bed sterilise it?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 19:41:02 »
I wondered if I can use old tomato compost IF....
I sterilise/kill off any potential risk of blight by mixing it in a compost bin with lots of fresh manure.....if this gets "hot" enough would it sterilise the pre used compost so it

How much tomato compost are we talking about and are you planning on carrying out this task each year?

Personally I don't think you will sterilise something that has been affected by blight, but if you know that the crop you grew in that it was not affected by blight then I would guess that it should be OK

The reason I asked if you plan on continue with this method you could buy an old microwave oven from a recycle shop and use that for sterilising the affected compost.

But personally as Tomatoes and Potatoes are of the same family I think there is too great risk!

So  my vote is.......against!

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 20:49:56 »
Thank you, I think you are right. I don't think we have had blight but as we are not near anyone or seen it I wouldn't really know....but I'd rather be cautious. What can I use the ex tomato compost for after I heat it up/break it down with manure.

I am now really fortunate, people in field beside us have two Shire Horses....so lots of aged or fresh manure :) And they don't use dodgy weedkiller ;)
Jackie

digmore

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 21:20:47 »
Microwave it, make sure no metal in it first.

Digmore.  :wave:

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 23:06:51 »
Spuds and toms get the same viruses so I'd keep well away from your plan..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 23:23:02 »
Technically the heat produced by composting manure or any organic matter can get high enough to kill off the blight spores ... but to achieve a temperature high enough for long enough is only really achievable with industrial sized amounts of compost and the perfect conditions ... a normal compost bin on an allotment is unlikely to get hot enough and I personally wouldn't risk it.

GREGME

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 09:31:37 »
I think I would use it to mulch something else which is not blight prone.

Ian Pearson

• Acre
    • Growing Oca
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 12:58:35 »
Blight can normally only overwinter in live tissue, so should not be a risk, but as gavinjconway says, viruses could be an issue, especially if there are bits of root left in there. The compost will be spent anyway (nutrients used up), so adding to compost is a good idea (time and microbial competition kill lots of pathogens even if the compost does not reach a high temperature).
Adding to the bottom of a bean trench or curcubit pit would be another option.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 13:00:18 by Ian Pearson »

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 23:53:02 »
Thanks all, that's really helpful :)
Jackie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal